Student Organization Risk Management Training (F-43)
Original Implementation: October 30, 2007
Last Revision: October 18, 2010
Stephen F. Austin State University shall provide a risk management program at least once during each academic year for four members and an advisor of each student organization registered at the institution. It is the policy of the university that each student organization registered with the university meeting the definition below must have representatives attend the annual risk management program. The registered advisor(s) of these organizations must attend this training no less than once every three years.
For the purposes of this policy:
- Organizations required to have representatives attend the program are:
- All student organizations registered through Student Affairs Programs.
- All newly registered student organizations within their first 30 business days of being recognized by Student Affairs Programs.
- Included in the four members required to attend the program are the president and vice president, or their equivalents, as listed on the organization’s registration with Student Affairs Programs Additionally, if an organization has officer positions equivalent to a risk management officer and/or a new member officer, these officers must also attend the program. If the organization does not have the specific leaders named, they are required to send the four highest ranking leaders of their organization to the training.
- Definition and requirements for persons serving as an advisor(s):
- "Advisor" means a person who:
- serves in an advisory capacity to a student organization to provide guidance to the organization and its members;
- is older than 21 years of age; and
- is not an enrolled undergraduate student at Stephen F. Austin State University.
- An advisor must attend a risk management program at least once every three years, or whenever mandated advisor training is provided.
- The content of the risk management program will include topic areas mandated by the Texas Education Code, as well as topic areas deemed relevant by the university.
- Stephen F. Austin State University shall take attendance at the risk management training and may impose reasonable sanctions on an organization which is required to send members and advisors to attend the program and fails to attend.
- The student organization must provide Student Affairs Programs with a current copy of the risk management policy adopted by their student organization.
Cross Reference: Texas Education Code Sec 51.9361
Responsible for Implementation: Vice President for University Affairs
Contact for Revision: Director of Student Affairs