Time Clock (E-51.1N)
Original Implementation: October 14, 1997
Last Revision: July 17, 2012
Each employee is required to have a record of hours worked. In departments using time clocks or the web-based time keeping system, the following regulations will apply:
- Employees are required to clock in prior to their assigned start time, and must clock out when they go off duty.
- Employees are required to clock out any time they leave the work site for any reason other than assigned work duties.
- Employees must clock in and out at their designated duty station.
- Unless permission to do otherwise is authorized in writing by the employee's supervisor, no employee may clock in more than 5 minutes prior to, or 5 minutes after, the start of their shift. Employees may not clock out more than 5 minutes prior to, or 5 minutes following the end of their work time.
- Clocking in within the time-frame specified in item three, will be calculated as an on-time report for duty.
- Depending on the department procedures, time recorded will be the work-time paid or employees will be paid from time sheets verified by actual recorded times. Any adjustments to the recorded time must be approved by the employee's supervisor. Managers will be accountable to their department head for any manual changes submitted.
- Unless a department is utilizing a system with an automatic lunch deduction, employees must clock out for their designated lunch time. All employees are free to leave the university premises during lunch.
- Employees should not clock out for designated break times and must stay in the assigned work area during the break.
- Employees who have worked time in excess of 40 hours per week will be paid time-and-a-half (or accrue comp-time at that rate) for all time exceeding 40 hours.
- Except in emergency circumstances, prior permission to work overtime should be approved in writing by the department manager.
Violations of this policy may result in disciplinary actions; including oral or written warnings, suspension without pay and/or termination.Under no circumstance may one employee clock in or out for another employee. Any employee participating in this type of violation will face immediate termination.
Cross Reference: None
Responsible for Implementation: Vice President for Finance and Administration
Contact For Revision: Director of Human Resources
Board Committee Assignment: Academic and Student Affairs