Earning high grades and performing well on the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) is only a part of what will allow a student to become a successful applicant for Medical School. In the competitive environment of the medical school application process, becoming that exceptional applicant also requires professional experience, effective leadership and demonstrated service. Thus, the summer Pre Med camp cosponsored by SFA and JAMP 2015, is meant to be a week of total immersion in and an introduction to what we refer to as the Pre Med "Lifestyle". This "head-start" will give camp attendees the opportunity to preview the course requirements, the time constraints and the journey toward excellence that Pre Med students encounter on the very first day of their freshman year.
- FREE Pre Med camp. Housing, meals, books and supplies are provided to the student. Also, travel awards are available for students to offset the cost incurred by travel to Nacogdoches, TX.
- academic reviews in Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics
- insights into medical school and the medical profession from talks with current medical students and medical school administrators
- exposure to the medical profession by spending time in local clinics/hospitals and interacting with the doctors and staff in these facilities - sharing in the joy of helping others by cooperative service within the community
- experience a week of "college life" and enjoy the facilities at Stephen F. Austin State University.
While this camp is open to all outstanding rising seniors (students beginning their senior year of high school in the Fall of 2015) in the state of Texas, preference will be given to those whose family has a financial need and would be excellent future candidates for the Joint Admissions Medical Program (JAMP) during their college years.
Application for our summer 2015 camp is now available.
2015 Camp Application