Phi Alpha is a National Honor Society for Social Work. The Stephen F. Austin State University chapter, Theta Omega Chapter has been active since May of 1999. Theta Omega chapter has been recognized for their service projects out in the community. SFA School of Social Work Theta Omega Chapter Honor Society received the Phi Alpha Honor Society National Chapter Service Award in 2009 for being the most active chapter engaging in activities that promote the mission of the social work profession. Theta Omega Chapter has offered support to other students in Social Work by volunteering their time in the Phi Alpha Honors Mentoring Program, which is free to all social work students.
An BSW student is eligible for membership after achieving the following national requirements and meeting local chapter requirements.
- Declare social work major
- Achieved sophomore status
- Completed 9 semester hours or 12 quarters hours of required social work courses
- Achieved an overall grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale)
- Achieved a 3.25 grade point average in required social work courses
A MSW student is eligible for membership after achieving the following national requirements and local chapter requirements:
- Completed one term of course work with minimum number of social work credits.
- Achieved a minimum grade point average of 3.5