Academic and Professional Integrity Code
Stephen F. Austin State University (SFASU)
BSW Social Work Program
Social work is a profession whose members are required to strictly adhere to standards of professional integrity
Social work students must also meet specific behavioral standards.
Matriculation through the BSW social work major requires certain essential cognitive, emotional, and communication skills. Students must be able to acquire client related information and handle in a confidential manner, so that service can be provided to client/consumer populations. Students must also be able to problem-solve and assess strengths, through analysis, synthesis, and reasoning. Problem-solving must be goal directed and time limited. Students must possess the emotional health required for full utilization of their intellectual abilities, the exercise of good judgment, and the prompt completion of all responsibilities related to services to clients/consumers. This includes being able to function under stressful situations and to adapt to changing environments. Students must be able to perform their duties with compassion, integrity and concern for others.
To guide your development as a BSW social work student, CSWE, Educational Policy and Accreditation Standards (EPAS) and National Association of Social Workers (NASW) Code of Ethics, developed from materials prepared by social work professionals, by social work educators, establishes behavioral expectations for all students enrolled in the Baccalaureate Social Work Program (BSW) at SFASU.
AS a student enrolled in the BSW social work program, you are expected to fully understand and appreciate the importance of the provisions of this code and to apply them to your educational experience, as a condition to your continued status as a social work student in the program.
1. The BSW social work student is expected to maintain high standards of personal conduct and act in accordance with the highest standards of integrity.
2. The BSW social work students are expected to uphold high standards of academic integrity.
3. The BSW social work student, while engaged in study and research, must be guided of by the conventions of scholarly inquiry.
4. The BSW social work student, while engaged in service delivery, holds as primary his or her responsibility to clients/consumers.
5. The BSW social work student must strictly respect the privacy of clients and hold in confidence all information obtained in the course of professional service.
6. The BSW social work student. Is expected to treat fellow students, faculty, supervisors, and staff with respect, honesty, courtesy, fairness, and good faith.
7. The BSW social work student must adhere to communicate made to the social work program.
8. The BSW social work student will uphold and advance the values, ethics, and mission of the social work profession.
9. The BSW social work student will uphold Academic Integrity policies of SFASU.
10. The BSW social work student must not participate in, condone, or be associated with dishonesty, fraud, deceit, or misrepresentation.
11. The BSW social work student must not engage in any form of inappropriate discrimination based on an individual's race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, or other personal characteristic, belief, status, or condition.
12. The BSW social work student will continue his or her professional development through regular self-assessment of academic and professional aptitude and performance.
13. The BSW social work student will be responsible for responding to their standard SFA titan e-mail address.
The NASW Code of Ethics, promulgated by the National Association of Social Workers (http://www.socialworker.org)
CSWE accreditation standards, promulgated by the Council on Social Work Education (http://www.cswe.org)
SFASU Academic Integrity policies
Student Name: ___________________________________________________________
Academic Advisor: ________________________________________________________