Chapter 35 (Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance)
Dependents' Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence course. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.
You must be the son, daughter, or spouse of:
• A veteran who died or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the Armed Forces.
• A veteran who died from any cause while such permanent and total service-connected disability was in existence.
• A service member missing in action or captured in line of duty by a hostile force.
• A service member forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power.
• A service member who is hospitalized or receiving outpatient treatment for a service connected permanent and total disability and is likely to be discharged for that disability. This change is effective December 23, 2006.
The following are the basic monthly rates for the Chapter 35 Reserve Education Assistance Program:
Full Time Student = $957.00
¾ Time Student = $718.00
½ Time Student = $476.00
Less Than 1/2 Time More Than 1/4 Time = $476.60**
¼ Time Or Less = $239.25**
*Correspondence - Entitlement charged at the rate of one month for each $957.00 paid.
** Tuition and Fees ONLY. Payment cannot exceed the listed amount.
*** Rates subject to change.
For more information on Chapter 35 Survivors and Dependents Educatinoal Assistance benefits visit: http://www.gibill.va.gov/benefits/other_programs/dea.html or
Contact Carolyn Hardy at (936) 468-2504