Hazlewood Act Exemption
The purpose of the Hazlewood Act Exemption is to provide an education benefit to honorably discharged or separated Texas veterans and to eligible dependent children and spouses of Texas veterans. A 2009 act added the provision to permit eligible veterans to assign their unused hours to their child (Hazlewood Legacy Act).
Eligible veterans, their children and spouses may receive an exemption from the payment of all tuition, dues, fees and other required charges, including fees for correspondence courses, but excluding deposit fees, student service fees and any fee or charges for books, lodging, board, or clothing for up to 150 semester credit hours. Awards may not be used to pay tuition and relevant fees for continuing education classes.
1) Who at the time of entry into the U.S. Armed Forces:
a) Are Texas residents
b) Designated Texas as Home of Record
c) Entered the service in Texas
2) Have served at least 181 days of active military duty, as indicated as "net active service" (the sum of 12(c) and 12(d)) on the DD214.
3) Have received an honorable discharge or separation or a general discharge under honorable conditions.
4) Have no federal veteran's education benefits or have federal veteran's education benefits dedicated to the payment of tuition and fees only (ex. Chapter 33 or 31, Pell Grants and SEOG are not relevant) for the term or semester enrolled that do not exceed the value of Hazlewood benefits.
5) Are not in default on a student loan made or guaranteed by the State of Texas.
6) Enrolled in classes for which the university receives tax support.
*Veterans who are granted their first Hazlewood exemption beginning fall 2011 must reside in Texas during the semester or term for which the exemption is claimed. This requirement does not apply to veterans who received the exemption prior to the 2011-2012 academic year.
**To apply for benefits and for more information on Hazlewood Act Exemption benefits for spouses and children visit: http://www.collegeforalltexans.com/apps/financialaid/tofa2.cfm?ID=579 or
Contact The Business Office at (936) 468-6960 or firstname.lastname@example.org.