Vice President for Student Affairs
What drew you to the higher education world?
As a first-generation college student, my undergraduate experience was transformative. What I learned both inside and outside of the classroom made such an impact on my life. My undergraduate degree is in secondary education, and I knew I wanted to work in the education field. During my undergraduate experience, I was highly involved in campus life and had staff and faculty mentors who encouraged me to go to graduate school to continue my education. I did so and earned a Master of the Arts in student development and began working in higher education at the University of Georgia. I went on to earn my doctorate in student affairs administration and now, 20 years after I began working at UGA, I am still employed in higher education and still enjoy supporting students as they learn, develop, engage in campus life, and succeed.
What do you enjoy most about your role at SFA?
As vice president for student affairs, I enjoy serving as an advocate for students and their needs. Additionally, I find joy in working collaboratively with faculty, staff, students, and community stakeholders to enhance student development, engagement, well-being, belonging, success, and post-college employment.
What do you hope students gain from SFA?
I hope that students gain the appropriate knowledge and skills to aid them in reaching their full potential and that they find employment and/or attend a graduate/professional program that will help them thrive in life and give back to their communities. Additionally, I hope they take full advantage of the curricular and co-curricular experiences available to them at SFA, which can aid them in their development as a scholars, citizens, and future leaders in society.
What are you passionate about outside of your role at SFA?
Outside of work at SFA, I enjoy spending time with my wife, our three children, and our two dogs. I like to get outside and be active, and I enjoy music, art, movies, and to explore.
- Vice President for Student Affairs
SFA (February 2021-Present)
- Associate Vice President for Academic Engagement and Student Affairs/Dean of Students and Deputy Title IX Coordinator
University of West Florida (2019-2021)
- Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Affairs/Dean of Students and Deputy Title IX Coordinator
University of West Florida (2017-2019)
- Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs/Dean of Students and Deputy Title IX Coordinator
University of West Florida (2013-2017)
- Director of Student Development
Auburn University (2012-2013)
- Director of Student Conduct
Auburn University (2010-2012)
- Assistant Dean of Students for Judicial Programs
University of Georgia (2007-2010)
- Coordinator for Judicial Programs
University of Georgia (2006-2007)
- Advisor to Fraternities
University of Georgia (2001-2006)
- Doctor of Philosophy, Student Affairs Administration
University of Georgia
- Master of Arts, Student Development
Appalachian State University
- Bachelor of Science, History/Secondary Education
Appalachian State University
Awards / Achievements
- Cross Cultural Competency Training Certificate, University of West Florida, Human Resources, Pensacola, Florida, 2020
- National Association of Student Personnel Administrators Voting Delegate for SFA, 2021-present
- NASPA Voting Delegate for UWF, 2019-2020
- Campus Emergencies: Prevention, Response, and Recovery-Active Shooters (MGT-324), U.S. Department of Homeland Security, LSU National Center for Biomedical Research and Training, Pensacola, Florida, 2018
- UWF Student Government Association, Distinguished Staff Award, 2018-2019
- Board of Directors, BRACE-Be Ready Alliance Coordinating for Emergencies, Pensacola Florida, 2018-2019
- Affiliate Faculty, Student Affairs Administration Program, UWF College of Education and Professional Studies, 2017-2021
- UWF Beta Beta Pi Chapter, Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc., Speaker of the Year, 2017
- Guest Lecturer, Student Affairs Administration Program, UWF College of Education and Professional Studies, 2013-2017
- UWF SGA Service Recognition, 2013, 2014, 2015
- The Novak Institute for Hazing Prevention, Hazing Prevention.Org, Lexington, Kentucky, 2013
- Title IX Coordinator Training, National Association of College and University Attorneys, Online Course, 2013
- Board of Directors, Pi Kappa Alpha International Fraternity Pike University, 2012-present
- Affiliate Professor, Administration of Higher Education Program, Auburn University College of Education, 2011-2013
- NASPA, Annual Conference Program Reviewer 2012-2013
- Association of Student Conduct Administration, Annual Conference Program Reviewer, 2012
- University of Georgia Division of Student Affairs Living the Mission Team Award, 2009-2010
- Instructor, College Student Affairs Administration Program, UGA College of Education, 2004-2010
- Donald G. Gehring Academy for Student Conduct Administration, Association of Student Conduct Administration, Salt Lake City, Utah, 2007
- Donna M. Bourassa Mid-Level Management Institute, ACPA-College Student Educators International, Bloomington, Indiana, 2006
- Member, NASPA-Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education, 2005-present
- Faculty/Staff Advisor, UGA Alpha Mu Chapter, Pi Kappa Alpha, 2005-2009
- UGA Division of Student Affairs 2002-2003 New Professional of the Year Award
- UGA Division of Student Affairs 2002 Outstanding Collaborative Teamwork Award
- Graduate Advisor, Appalachian State University Iota Psi Chapter, Pi Kappa Alpha, 1999-2001