Fall 2020 welcomes the sixth annual Lumberjack Fitness Academy
Welcome to the Lumberjack Fitness Academy. This Employee Wellness program is open to full- and part-time faculty and staff for the fall 2020 semester, focusing on getting you healthier through fitness and nutrition while providing you with many of the great resources SFA has to offer.
Applications accepted: Aug. 17 to Sept. 2
Selected participants notified on: Friday, Sept. 4
Academy dates*: Sept. 14 to Dec. 4
*Refer to Schedule of Activities for specific dates
Testimonials: Past Participants
Impact by the numbers
Since the inaugural Lumberjack Fitness academy in fall 2015, participants have reported improvements in the following areas:
|Percentage of Participants||Area of Improvement|
|87%||Quality of sleep|
|86%||Ability to manage stress|
Testimonials from past participants
Note: The Lumberjack Fitness Academy prides itself on discretion and participant privacy. Any identifying information in our testimonials was approved by the participants prior to posting.
“The program was motivating and removed typical barriers (i.e., excuses) for those who know they need a healthier life. The pre-assessment and access to trainers was key in helping me understand the equipment and set expectations and goals for myself.”
Jamie Derrick – Department of Management and Marketing
"This program really helped me step out of my comfort zone and get into the Rec Center. It was just the push that I needed! I am not focusing on my weight, just my overall health, strength and body condition."
- Donna Matheny – Department of Anthropology, Geography, and Sociology
"It was a great way for me to get started on an exercise program. Working with a personal trainer and knowing what to do when I go work out was something I wished I would have done years ago."
"I would encourage employees who are serious about wanting to get in better physical shape, but nervous about using the SFA facilities and resources, to enroll."
- Jenny Henson, Student Health Clinic Lab
"The program was motivating and removed typical barriers (i.e. excuses) for those who know they need a healthier life. The pre-assessment and access to trainers was key in helping me understand the equipment and set expectations and goals for myself."
- Complete and submit the Lumberjack Fitness Academy application by Sept. 2.
- Participants will be chosen based on their commitment to follow the program and desire to gain health improvement.
- If selected for the Lumberjack Fitness Academy, you will be informed on Sept. 4.
- You will receive a free Campus Recreation membership October through December as part of the program.
Refundable Participant Fee
There is a $60 refundable fee to participate in the Lumberjack Fitness Academy that must be paid by Friday, Sept. 11. You can be reimbursed the fee or receive an extended Campus Recreation membership for the months of January and February by:
- attending one of the informational meetings once accepted
- completing a fitness pre- and post-assessment
- working out at least three times a week
- meeting with Aramark’s registered dietitian
- attending two of the three wellness seminars offered
- and completing the program post-survey.
Schedule of Activities
Complete the following activities.
Information Meeting: Campus Rec meeting room
Attend only one:
12:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 9
4:30 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 10
Sept. 21 to Oct. 9: Schedule and attend appointments with:
Attend two of the three wellness seminars. Details of the seminars will be posted closer to the academy start date.
Nov. 16 to Dec. 4:
- Schedule and attend appointment with a Campus Rec personal trainer for post-assessment.
- Complete online program survey.
Fitness Assessment and Personal Training
To evaluate your fitness level and gauge your progress at the end of the program, you are required to undergo a pre- and post-assessment completed by one of Campus Rec’s certified personal trainers. Our trainer will also guide you through a 60-minute session emphasizing the five components of fitness: cardiovascular endurance, muscular strength, muscular endurance, flexibility and body composition.
You are required to meet with Aramark’s registered dietitian to receive personalized support in developing a healthy eating plan.
As part of your membership, you must work out for at least three 30-minute sessions per week.