Stephen F. Austin State University

Self-Help Resources

If you are interested in obtaining services in your community, we suggest the following resources:

• Insurance: Most insurance carriers have referrals for mental health and substance abuse counseling centers.
• Local College or University Services: Some four-year colleges and universities staff a community clinic. These clinics may offer a sliding scale for payment.
• Physicians: Your primary care physician may be able to provide you with a referral.
• Personal Referral: You may be able to receive a recommendation from family or friends.
• United Way: Your local United Way can provide referrals for counseling centers and services in your area. Referrals may be to a non-profit organization which may have a sliding scale for payment.
• DSHS: Texas Department of State Health Services:
• Texas Counseling Association: This site has a list of Licensed Professional Counselors throughout Texas and the U.S., as well as other links to mental health resources:
• Texas Board of Examiners of Professional Counselors: Provides a directory of health and mental health services in Texas:
• If you live in Nacogdoches, Lufkin or the surrounding areas, you may also consult the Community Resources Guide:

If you have additional questions, Counseling Services can be contacted to help provide suggestions in finding resources. You can reach us Monday-Friday, 8:00a.m-5:00p.m., by calling 936 468-2401.

The internet has extensive information on a wide variety of personal development and mental health related topics. Some of these are listed here to help you explore what is available. We encourage you to evaluate the materials and use what you find helpful. We are happy to meet or talk with you to discuss information on any of these or other topics.