Skip to main content

Parents and Families

Coronavirus/COVID-19 Information

March 27, 2020

This page presents resources and information for parents and family members of SFA students. As we work to ensure that critical services are accessible to our students throughout the current issue, parents and family members are encouraged to reach out to the Office of the Dean of Student Affairs with any specific problems or concerns. They may be reached by email at or by phone during regular business hours at 936.468.7249.

At the present time, university offices and employees will be maintaining normal business hours. Should this change, the university community will be notified.


My student has a disability and needs accommodations related to the new class format.

As classes transition to new formats, students are encouraged to work with faculty in their courses to ensure their equitable participation. Disability Services is available to consult and assist as needed. They can be reached at 936.468.3004.

My student would like to utilize SFA's Health Services.

At the present time, the SFA clinic will be open. To access their services, please call 936.468.4008 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Tell them about any recent travel and your symptoms. They may want to provide specific instructions about how to come to the clinic and where to go once you arrive to minimize the risk of exposing others, or they may give instructions for self-care at home.

The SFA Health Clinic is also available for consultation with students who reside outside of the region.  This may use web conferencing capabilities such as zoom (when appropriate) or even via telephone. To arrange these consultations, contact the SFA Health Clinic at the number listed above.

My student is hungry or food insecure.

"The Pantry" is here to assist students who are experiencing food insecurity during the current situation. Students who are in need of short-term assistance may access the pantry by contacting the Office of the Dean of Student Affairs via email at or by phone during regular business hours at 936.468.7249. 

My student needs to speak to a counselor.

Counseling can be arranged in a distance format. This may include web conferencing capabilities such as zoom (when appropriate) or even via telephone. Students who wish to keep existing appointments with Counseling Services, or who wish to speak with a counselor, may contact Counseling Services at 936.468.2401.

Are there any cases of COVID-19 in Nacogdoches or at SFA?

Cases have been confirmed in Nacogdoches and elsewhere in East Texas.

My student has symptoms of coronavirus, what should I do?

If you are local, contact the SFA Health Clinic at 936.468.4008 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. You may also contact the Nacogdoches County Call Center at 936.468.4787. For students who reside outside the region, contact your local healthcare provider.

Is SFA canceling Easter Break?

Yes. Classes will be held online on April 9, 10 and 13.

My student is planning to go on a school-sponsored trip, is that canceled?

All university-sponsored student and employee travel, both international and domestic, scheduled for the Spring semester will be canceled unless approved by the respective Vice President (domestic) or President (international).

My student is planning to graduate in May, will commencement still be held?

Spring commencement ceremonies will be postponed. However, we are working on a virtual commencement ceremony and we will provide the opportunity for graduates to participate in a future in-person "traditional" commencement ceremony. In accordance with our standard operating procedures, the university will confer degrees and mail diplomas to graduates.

I require assistance for something not addressed among these resources.

The Office of the Dean of Student Affairs is here to assist students in accessing existing services, connect them to resources in their communities or to help students address issues that fall outside of the scope of our programs and services. Students may contact the Dean of Student Affairs via email at or by phone at 936.468.7249. 

March 13, 2020 - Frequently Asked Questions

My student has items they need in their residence hall room. Can we come and retrieve them?

The residence halls will be open on a normal schedule. Students may come and go at their option.

Can my student be allowed to live on campus during the campus closure?

Yes, because the campus is not closed – classes are just being delivered in an on-line or other distance education format.

When can students return to their residence halls?

Residential students may move back into their on-campus housing beginning Sunday, March 15 at noon.

If my student is staying on campus, will there be food service?

Dining operations will resume in East College Dining Hall on Sunday, March 15. Due to limited options over the next few weeks, each student with a dining plan will receive a $100 credit to their Dining Dollars balance.