735 N. Mound Photographs
735 N. Mound Front (East Side) Summer 2011
735 N. Mound South Side, Summer 2011
735 N. Mound North Side, Summer 2011
735 N. Mound Casement Windows, Summer 2011
Description: 1-Story Craftsman style duplex with Tudor influences; hipped roof, composite shingles, segmented arches on front porch, casement windows on north side. Foliage obscures the view of the this building from the street.
Significance: Claude and Helen Thrash acquired the property where this house now sits in 1914. Census records from the time indicate Thrash worked as a bookkeeper for a local business. Sanborn maps date the current structure from between 1922 and 1929, when it replaced a prior wooden structure. These maps also show a major renovation taking place between 1929 and 1946. This renovation extended the rear of one of the houses two bays and created a partition transforming the house into a rental duplex. At the same time a two story detached garage with apartment appeared on the premises. (1922 Sheet 6; 1929 Sheet 8; 1946 Sheet 8). Tax assessors records note the movement of this garage with apartment to Cushing in 1984. While speculative, the timing of the transformation into a duplex-between 1929 and 1946-indicates a renovation aimed at generating extra income during the Depression. Given the costly brick siding used in the building, it is unlikely that the owners originally intended the house as a rental property.
- Address: 735 N. Mound
- Date: 1930
- Category: Contributing
- Block: 40
- Lot: 13
- Description: 1-story frame dwelling with brick veneer; elliptical arched porch; paired wood-sash double-hung 1/1 windows.