Services Faculty & Staff Disability and Accommodations
Range of mental and emotional conditions which may have significant impact in educational environment; may include depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety disorder, post traumatic stress disorder and schizophrenia.
Limitations and accommodations may be similar to those for other disabilities; may vary widely depending upon the student’s particular condition; and, may include the following:
- separate testing location to minimize distractions
- extended time on tests and in-class assignments
- Fatigue may be a significant factor that impacts the student's ability to complete assignments, projects, research, etc. within regular time limits. Consideration for reasonable extensions may be appropriate.
- Treatment or therapy may cause the student to exceed attendance policies. Consideration for allowing alternative arrangements for completion of course requirements may be reasonable.
- Students with certain conditions may need to leave class early or unexpectedly. Assistance may be given for obtaining notes; students should be held accountable for missed instruction.
General Communication Tips
Top of page