Maintenance of Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) accreditation requires inclusion of an accurate description of the university and its accreditation status to specialized external programmatic accrediting agencies recognized by the United States Department of Education.
The SFA Provost's Office and the SACSCOC Accreditation Liaison are responsible for ensuring that the description of SFA's accreditation status is consistent with SACSCOC policy. All correspondence with specialized programmatic accrediting agencies, such as applications for candidacy, self-study reports, and/or accreditation renewals, shall consistently include the following description of Stephen F. Austin State University:
Founded in 1923, Stephen F. Austin State University (SFA) is an independent, comprehensive public institution located in Nacogdoches, Texas. Stephen F. Austin State University is dedicated to excellence in teaching, research, scholarship, creative work, and service. Throughout the university, faculty and staff provide personal attention, engaging students in a learner-centered environment and offering opportunities to prepare for the challenges of living in the global community. Stephen F. Austin State University benefits the East Texas community and the State of Texas by providing a high quality, affordable education.
The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) is the institutional accrediting agency. Initial accreditation was received in 1927 as Stephen Austin State Teachers College. From 1951-1968, accreditation as Stephen F. Austin State College was in place. Since 1968, accreditation as Stephen F. Austin State University is active. The last SFA SACSCOC reaffirmation occurred in 2011, and the next reaffirmation is scheduled for 2021. Stephen F. Austin State University is a Level V institution eligible to award bachelor, master, and doctoral degrees. Contact the SACSCOC at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia, 30033-4097, or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Stephen F. Austin State University.
Active U.S. Department of Education-recognized accreditations:
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics
- Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc.*
- American Psychological Association, Commission on Accreditation
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology
- National Association of Schools of Art and Design, Commission on Colleges
- National Association of Schools of Music, Commission on Colleges
- National Association of Schools of Theatre, Commission on Colleges
*Formerly National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission
Other active accreditations:
- American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences
- American Chemical Society
- Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business
- Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education
- Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET
- Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs
- Council for Interior Design Accreditation
- Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation
- Council on Social Work Education
- Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET
- National Association for the Education of Young Children
- National Association of School Psychologists
- Society of American Foresters
More information on SFA accreditation is available on the Office of the Provost's site.