The Family and Consumer Sciences program is designed with two tracks.
- Family and Consumer Sciences- This major prepares students for broad-based employment in the field of family and consumer sciences and for effective individual and family living. A minor in a supporting area is required. Suggested minors may include business, communications, art, journalism or foreign language.
- Family and Consumer Sciences Education with Teacher Certification (for high school). This major prepares students to teach at the high school level. There are several types of high school family and consumer sciences programs. The program for teaching is designed to meet the certification requirements for the State of Texas. To become fully certified students must complete the degree program and pass the state exam.
There are three teaching certifications in Family and Consumer Sciences (FCS):
- FCS Composite (Certificate to teach all FCS high school courses)
- FCS with Hospitality and Food Science (Certified to teach food, nutrition, and hospitality courses) F
- CS with Human Development and Family Studies (Certified to teach child development, parenting, and family courses)
10 Best Degrees for Finding A Job (published in Fall 2013)
- Family and Consumer Sciences
- Family and Consumer Sciences w/Composite Certification
- Family and Consumer Sciences w/Hospitality, Nutrition and Food Science Certification
- Family and Consumer Sciences w/Human Development and Family Studies
Students must be admitted to Teacher Certification. For more information on the teacher certification program at SFASU and the requirements for admission visit the James I. Perkins College of Education web site. Look under the following:
- Admission Requirements for Teacher Certification
- Educator Certification
- Post Baccalaureate Initial Certification Program
Dr. Nancy Shepherd, Assistant Professor (email@example.com), coordinates the teacher certification program. All faculty in the School of Human Sciences teach the family and consumer sciences content courses required for certification.