Stephen F. Austin State University


Posting/Entering Grades

See instructions on how to enter Mid-term grades.

See instructions on how to enter Final grades.

Below is a list of Final grades that may be awarded to students by instructors. Mid-term grades do not have an option of WH, QF, WP, nor WF. SFA Policy 5.5 Course Grades

A Excellent

B Good

C Average

D Passing

F Failure

P Passing. Used only with classes that are classified or flagged as being Pass/Fail.

QF Quit Fail. Student quit attending and did not officially withdraw. See below.

AU Audit grade. Student has registered to audit the course. Students must sign up to audit a course through the Registrar's office.

WH Withheld grade. Student must complete assigned work within specified time (up to one year.) After one year, the WH is changed to an F.

When entering grades, if the only grade option is WP or WF, the student has withdrawn through the Registrar's office between specific dates.

There is no longer a QF date. A QF grade is to be awarded to students who stop attending and do not officially withdraw from the university.

Instructors may not award a grade of W. These grades are used only when the student withdrew or dropped a class in the Registrar's office.

Grade Changes

A grade change is initiated by the instructor. Instructors have the option of submitting a grade change via the online link "Grade Change" located under Faculty Services in Self-Service Banner (SSB) or hard-copy form. The online Grade Change link will be available for a given semester for one academic year beginning 19 days after the last day of finals. Hard copy forms may be submitted at any time.

Once the instructor has entered the appropriate information online or on hard-copy form, the information is sent to the Chair of the department the course falls under. Once approval is made by the Chair, the information is sent to the appropriate Dean's office. Once approval is given by the Dean, the information is sent to the Registrar's Office for updating on the student's record. Due to the chain of approvals required, there is no estimated time for a change to take place.

At any point in the process, the grade change can be denied.

If you have any questions, please contact the Registrar's Office at x1370 or send an email to