Stephen F. Austin State University

Arnot House

306 W. Washington, Marshall

Current Owner 2013: Allen & Faris Investment

Sanborn Maps:

National Register

The Arnot House was entered into the National Register in 1979.

Texas Historical Landmark

The Arnot House became a TX Historical Landmark in 1980.

Architectual Survey

Description: The Arnot house is a one-story raised wood frame Greek Revival house, built upon an above ground, full brick basement. The front facade consists of five bays with 6/6 windows, and a double door entry with transom and sidelights. The home is a four-room central hall plan with a front porch the width of the house.

Significance: The Arnot house is an excellent example of an East Texas twist on a Greek Revival house which incorporates aspects of the raised New Orleans style architecture.

Historical Background

The Arnot House, a simple Greek revival home, was built in 1848. The Texas Historical Building Marker makes a note that the Arnot House is a "classic Creole or Louisiana raised cottage." This reference to the "Creole style raised cottage" is seen throughout many records within the Harrison County Historical Archives pertaining to many different homes within the county. But there is no concrete evidence that this style came specifically from New Orleans. It is obvious though that the Greek revival architecture was a popular antebellum style within Harrison county. The one architectural point that may slightly resemble the Creole style is the one main story structure which is raised above an enclosed brick basement above ground. This is similar to other homes such as the Fry-Barry House, and Magnolia Home. These basements were often used for cold storage.
Albert McMicle Arnot moved to Mississippi from New York, where he married his wife Lucinda in 1842. The Arnots moved to Harrison County around 1845 with their one year old daughter Sarah Ann Arnot. After purchasing the site from E.P. Bedd in 1847, he built the house and established a blacksmith shop on the property (Deed Records of Harrison County, Book F, p.375, filed December 29, 1847).

According to court records utilized by local historian Max Lale, Albert Arnot sued for divorce and eventually acquired the house as part of the settlement as well as custody of their three daughters Sarah Ann, Amanda Jane, and Martha L. After the divorce, there are no other records pertaining to the Arnot family except for the sale of the house to Francis and Frederika Lang in 1857. (Deed Records of Harrison County, Book Q, p.31, filed October 15, 1857).

The third family to own the Arnot House was Alek A. and Dora Grossman Bernstein in 1872 made the first renovation to the home by closing in the rear porch. In December 10, 1908, the Arnot House was sold to Bonnie Akin Cargill, a Harrison County native, who was elected sheriff while living in the house and in November 12, 1919, he and his wife Maggie sold the property to Joseph Black. During Black's ownership, he erected a cobbler's shop to the front porch which extended to the sidewalk. After his death, the house was left to his wife Lucille McCarty Black in 1955, and later to his son, Dr. Joseph Black Jr. in 1960. Dr. Black, conducted his practice within the basement until 1977, when Mr. and Mrs. Allen Staggers bought the house. Due to the Staggers historical research and authentic restoration, the house was recognized by the Department of the Interior in 1979 when the home was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 2009, the Staggers sold the house to Allen & Faris Investments Inc. who continue to rent the building out as office space as of 2013. (Warranty Deed: Allce C Staggers Sr. to Allen & Faris Investments Inc. Parts of Lot 3 and 4, Block 56, filed April 14, 2009, Vol. 4151, Page 257, Deed Records of Harrison County).

Arnot Photos