Stephen F. Austin State University

Dr. Samuel Floyd Vaughan House

FM 134, 1.5 N of Jonesville

Current Owner 2013: Molly Vaughan

TX Historical Marker

The Dr. Samuel Floyd Vaughan home recieved a TX Historical Marker in 1985.

Architectural Survey

Architectural Survey

• Description: The Vaughan home is a two-story, frame, Folk Victorian home with a two-story front porch that covers a double door entrance with a transom. The gingerbread detailing and Victorian embellishments were added on during the 1870s by Dr. Samuel Floyd Vaughan. The guest house was built by Sam Vaughan III sometime after 1985 as a Greek Revival replica of Dr. Samuel Floyd Vaughan's place of medical practice.

• Significance: The Vaughan home is an excellent example of how popular the Victorian styling was in the late 1800s, because a lot of work went into adding those components to the structure.

Historical Background

Purchased by Dr. Samuel Floyd Vaughan from A.B. Waskom in 1870, the Vaughan home remains within the Vaughan family. (Harrison County Deed Records, Vol. W, Pg. 489, filed April 7, 1879.) Dr. Vaughan was born in 1844 in Missouri and at age sixteen he joined the Confederate Army. After the war he settled in Caddo Parish, Louisiana with his brother and parents. After graduating from medical school he established himself as a traveling doctor throughout Harrison County. Samuel Vaughan married Annie Rebecca Hope in 1869 and a year later they moved into his newly acquired home. Later in his life Dr. Vaughan was elected the first President of the Harrison County Medical Society. Besides medicine, he took an interest in livestock and crops and according to the Harrison Historical Archive file, Dr. Vaughan was the first to introduce alfalfa and clover into East Texas. As Jonesville began to grow into a flourishing community, there was a need for a supply store, therefore, Dr. Vaughan and a business friend, James Estes opened a general store. Today the store is called T.C. Lindsey General Store and is still in operation today. ("Dr. Samuel Floyd Vaughan: Doctor, Agriculturist, Business Man, 1844-1916," Martha Shepherd Vaughan.)

The home was built in three sections; the first was a two-room dog-trot structure built by Daniel Rouse in 1842. The second story was added on in 1865 by S.F. Perry, and the back wing of the house which attached the kitchen was added in 1872, along with several other minor additions by Dr. Samuel Floyd Vaughan. He added a third porch to the back of the home as well as the gingerbread detailing to both levels of the porch. The original structure exemplified local vernacular architecture, until the Vaughans added Victorian embellishments throughout the 1870s.

Samuel "Sam" Floyd Vaughan III was deeded the home in 1983 by his father, Samuel Vaughan II. (Harrison County Deed Records, Vol. 1011, Pg. 497, filed August 15, 1983.)When Sam came into ownership of the home it had been left vacant for twenty years so the house was in a state of disrepair. Sam conducted major renovations on the home which are in full detail in the Texas Historical Marker File. According to the file, Sam also built the guest house sometime after 1985 as a Greek Revival replica of Dr. Vaughan's medical practice building. Sam and his first wife Shirley were responsible for the excellent condition in which the home remains today. When Sam died in 1889, the home was left to his second wife, Molly Vaughan. Molly continues to live in the home with their daughter Victoria as of 2013.

Dr. Samuel Floyd Vaughan Photos