Stephen F. Austin State University

Samuel Scott Plantation

7365 Hwy. 80, Marshall

Current Owner 2013: Erik & Jennifer Howard

Architectural Survey

The main facade of the Samuel Scott Plantation is a 1860 Greek Revival structure with a full-length, double gallery porch supported by four classical columns. The east wing is a 1930 Neoclassical addition also with a full-length, double gallery porch suppoorted by four classical columns.

Historical Background

Samuel Scott began construction on his raised cottage home in 1860 which contained 18-inch thick walls, and took four and a half years to complete. The home was remodeled in 1930 with a Neoclassical addition. Other buildings on the property include a surrey house, (replica of the main house), three preserved servants quarters, kennels and a tack room, and two barns. Thanks to the efforts of the current owners, Erik and Jennifer Howard, the home and extant buildings are in pristine condition, making it one of the best-preserved plantation homes in Harrison County.
Samuel Scott Plantation Photos