Stephen F. Austin State University

W.T. Scott Home

9253, FM 1998, Scottsville

Current Owner 2013: Bettie Scott Youree Park Foundation

TX Historical Marker

The W.T. Scott Home became a TX Historical Landmark in 1971.

Architectural Survey

Architectural Survey

• Description: The W.T. Scott home is a 1840, two-story Greek Revival structure that contains a closed in porch along the entire front façade of the home. The home resembles other raised cottages within the county such as the Arnot house, the Fry-Barry house, and the Magnolia home.

• Significance: The W.T. Scott home was owed by one of the largest early frontier familys within Harrison County.

Historical Background

William Thomas Scott, a frontier settler, a statesman, and a planter built this raised cottage in 1840. William and his wife Mary Washington Rose arrived in Harrison County in the early 1830s. The Scotts, parents of twelve children were instrumental in establishing the county's earliest Methodist church, Rock Springs as well as the county's first cemetery which is known today as the Scottsville Cemetery. William Scott, known as Colonel "Buck" Scott, acquired five plantations and 500 slaves, more than anyone else in Texas at the time. Scott's father-in-law was William Pinckney Rose and his nine children, joined his daughter and husband Scott in East Texas in 1839.

William Rose served as a Captain under General Andrew Jackson at the Battle of New Orleans. During the Regulator-Moderator War, he was also implicated, indicted and tried, but not convicted in the assassination of Moderator-Congressman Robert Potter.

The Rock Spring church was built a quarter of a mile east of the Scott home near a spring of living water, which later became the Scottsville community center, and is now the Scottsville Camp. William Thomas Scott, born in 1811, died in 1887 in Scottsville.

After William and Mary died the home was left to their children. A back porch was added by Mary Rose Scott and the front porch was screened in during the 1920s under the ownership of Mary Elizabeth Scott Youree. When Mary died in 1934, the home was left to the Bettie Scott Youree Park Foundation which maintains both the home and the neighboring Scottsville Cemetery.

W.T. Scott Home Photos