Stephen F. Austin State University

William Bates Anderson Home & Dairy Farm

691 FM 968-Gum Springs Rd., Marshall

Current Owner 2013: Linda Adler

TX Historical Landmark

The William Bates Dairy Farm became a TX Historical Landmark in 1963.

Architectural Survey

Architectural Survey

• Description: The Anderson home is a Greek Revival frame farm house. The one and a half story cottage was designed with an open hall dividing the first level with two rooms on each side. The front gallery is supported by six square pillars that are set within the roof. The front door is surrounded by two double-hung sash windows.

• Significance: The Anderson home is a well preserved example of the early Texas farmhouse.

Historical Background

Built around 1868 by Joseph Upton Fields, the homestead and 270 acres were sold to William C. Starkey, a confederate veteran, and his wife Josephine in 1871. Josephine, the sister of Montraville Hall, had previously been married to Maxfield Anderson. After Maxfield died in 1857, Josephine married W.C. Starkey in 1866. After Starkey died in 1875, Josephine remained living in the home with five children, three from her first marriage, Rufus Maxfield Jr., William Bates, Cornelia Josephine, and two from her marriage with William Starkey, Blanch and John William. William Bates, along with his wife, Carrie Fields, lived with Josephine until her death, at which point the home was inherited by her children. After William and Carried passed away the home was left to their son, William Luther. Luther owned and operated a successful dairy farm for 52 years, delivering milk from door-to-door.

The home, as of 2013, is owned by Linda Anderson Adler. The home has undergone renovations throughout the years, but the architectural integrity has been maintained. Today it is a beautiful example of early Texas farmhouses.

William Bates Dairy Farm Photos