Campus Alert

Parking Closure of Certain Floors in the Lumberjack Village Parking Garage. Click here for more information..

Stephen F. Austin State University

1428 N. Mound Street (Not Zoned Historic)

1428 N. Mound Photographs

1428 N. Mound Street 2013 Summer Survey Information

Address: 1428 N. Mound Street

Name: Christ Episcopal School

Date: Circa 1947

Block: 45

Lot: 3, 4, 5, 7, 7-A, 9-A, 11, 12

Original Use: School

Current Use: School

Condition: Good

Description: 1-story; flat roof; red brick exterior; handicap accessible; glass front entry doors; rear doors wood; playground surrounded by chain link fence; basketball goals; monkey bars; jungle gym with two slides; seesaw; stationary playground equipment; parking lot.

Significance: Christ Episcopal School covered eleven lots due to the school's educational facilities' expansion since the late 1940s. The school itself was located on lots 3, 4, 5, 7, 7-A and he playground was located on lots 9, 11, and 12 at 1428 N. Mound Street (previously 522 E. Starr Avenue). Lot 9-A served as a parking lot for the school and lots 9-B and 11-A served as part of the parking lot for the church's offices located at 1320 N. Mound Street. Most of the lots Christ Episcopal School expanded upon did not have buildings and were open patches of grass with the exception of one. Lot 12 was once 1315 Raguet Street and had a two-story, weathered wood frame house with hardwood floors that was built on the lot in 1950. It was demolished by Christ Episcopal Church to add onto Christ Episcopal School's playground. It had seen six owners before it was purchased by the church; Mamie Blount Stewart, Frank and Bonnie Richardson, Glen Rose, W. U. Kenderick, Lucille McBee Gossage, and Ford Simpson, Junior were all once owners from circa 1940 to December 20, 1975 when it was sold to Christ Episcopal Church.