Hospitality and tourism is the world's largest industry. Over 10 million workers, or one in 12, are employed by the industry in the United States. Women and minority workers contribute heavily to the employment base. Hospitality/tourism employs more workers than the agriculture sector and the automotive, electronic, steel and textiles industries combined. The employment outlook is exceptional for graduates of hospitality/tourism programs; the need for people with skills to administer/manage all aspects of the industry continues.
Why Hospitality at SFA?
SFA is nestled among the piney woods of East Texas in Nacogdoches, the oldest city in Texas. The university is student-oriented and offers excellence in both academic and student-life programs in a residential setting. SFA is a comprehensive, state-supported regional university. SFA takes great pride in being able to provide small classes and an opportunity for individual attention.
The hospitality administration program at SFA is poised to attract students, to enhance university visibility, and to prepare students to compete in the 21st century. Specific objectives of the Hospitality Administration major are to:
- prepare individuals for entry-level employment in the vast hospitality industry
- deliver an academic program that attracts non-traditional, male and minority students as well as traditional students seeking an education at SFA
- meet needs of students desiring an academic area that prepares for multiple types of employment, flexible scheduling and mobility, and to
- provide industry with well-prepared, qualified personnel.
Goals for 2012-2013
- Continue to review curriculum and evaluate every course fee
- Encourage student certifications within curriculum and professional memberships in industry organizations
- Revitalize advisory board
- Engage in recruitment and retention activities