Stephen F. Austin State University

Admission for Graduate Students (Master's or PhD)

All admission decisions regarding international graduate applicants are made by the respective academic departments. Once all documents are received by International Admissions, your file will be sent to the appropriate academic department for their consideration. Most departments return an admission decision within 2-4 weeks, however, some departments may take longer.

IMPORTANT: Consult the website of the academic department you are seeking admission into for department-specific requirements.

3-Year Degrees: SFA does accept some international 3-year degrees for admission purposes. Please consult this document to see if your degree qualifies.

To apply as an International Graduate Student, you must submit the following documents:

  1. International Application for Admission and $50 Application Fee. You must apply using the Texas Common Application website.
  2. English Proficiency Proof: Official TOEFL score report issued directly by ETS (school code is 6682), IELTS or PTE score report - all tests must have been taken within the last 2 years to be valid. You may be considered for Conditional Admission if your scores do not meet the proficiency requirement (see note below).
  3. Credential Evaluation** of all transcripts from all post-secondary schools attended showing all courses taken and all grades received.
  4. Letters or recommendation (as required by the academic program).
  5. Personal goal statement (or other version as required by the academic program).
  6. Official GRE (if required) issued directly by ETS. Our school code is 6682. Test must have been taken within the last 5 years to be considered valid for admission.
  7. Official GMAT (if required). Test must have been taken within the last 5 years to be considered valid for admission.
  8. Proof that you have received the bacterial meningitis vaccination (if younger than 22 years of age).
  9. A copy of your passport biographical page.

** Credential Evaluation - We will accept a credential evaluation from most recognized companies. Although we do not recommend any one company, we do have previous experience with the following: Foreign Credential Services of America - ; World Education Services -

SCHOLARSHIP! Don't forget to also apply for the OIP/SFA International Student Scholarship! With this scholarship, you will receive $1,000 and you will also pay resident tuition rates - check out the requirements and the application here -

Conditional Admission - if you have not provided a passing English score report with your application for admission

Upon arrival at SFA and prior to enrolling in your academic courses, you would be required to submit a passing TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE score report, pass the in-house English proficiency exam, or enroll in and successfully complete our English Language Institute (ELI)±. All English tests must have been taken within the last 2 years to be considered valid for admission.


Students who have not demonstrated English Proficiency and opt to take the English proficiency exam at SFA will be required to pay $50 upon arrival for the exam (this option is ONLY available to students who are currently in the U.S. and able to take the exam at least two weeks prior to the beginning of the academic term).

± Please note that the ELI does not provide beginning English instruction. Students should already possess an intermediate level of English proficiency. To succeed in the ELI program, students should enter with skills equivalent to a score no lower than a 58 on the TOEFL or a 5.5 on the IELTS. Students should have a solid grasp of English grammar, be able to comprehend and respond to conversational English, read and comprehend lower-level academic texts, and write complex sentences. For most students, a minimum of three years' previous study of English is necessary for success in the program.

If accepted, you would be required to submit the following documents prior to any acceptance letter and I-20 being issued:

Transfer Applicants (currently attending a US college or university): Provide a School Transfer Eligibility form completed by you and your current International Student Advisor.

All transfer students who wish to attempt to transfer credits from another institution must submit a course by course credential evaluation with their application materials.