An academic program in Human Sciences has been offered at SFA since the university opened in 1923. The school has academic majors in Child/Family Development, Food, Nutrition & Dietetics, Interior Design, Interior Merchandising, Fashion Merchandising, Hospitality Administration,and Family and Consumer Sciences.
Bachelor of Science and Master of Science degrees are offered; the B. S. program is among the largest in the state. Academic programs in Human Sciences prepare professionals who seek innovative solutions to the challenges of a contemporary society and of a changing world. The fundamental focus of the discipline is on humankind and the human condition throughout the life cycle.
Licensing and Credentialing
The School of Human Sciences has a number of professional programs that require testing for licensure.
For the past 5 years:
- The Dietetic Internship Program has had 48 students take the RD exam with 36 passing (75% pass rate).
- Thirty DPD students have applied to dietetic internships with 22 being accepted (73%). The national rate is 52%.
- The DPD program has had 28 students take the RD exam with 22 passing (79%) the first time.
- The Family and Consumer Sciences educator preparation program has had 31 sit for their certification with 28 passing (90%).
- Ten students have sat for the Interior Design Program's NCIDQ exam with 8 passing (80%).
Retention and Graduation Rates
- The School of Human Sciences has a 67.7% retention rate over the last 3 years. This is compared to a 64.1% retention rate for SFA.
- The School of Human Sciences six year graduation rate for first time, full time undergraduates is 51.3%. This is compared to SFA's rate of 43.4 %.
- Enrollment in the School of Human Sciences is up 8% during the last 5 years (690, fall of 2009 to 748, fall 2013).
- The Child Development Program was a top-enrolled SFA major fall 2012 as well as a top bachelor degree at SFA.
- Hospitality administration was a top SFA bachelor degree fall 2012.
The School of Human Sciences graduation rates are as follows:
|4 year (08-12)||5 year (07-12)||6 year (06-12)|
|88 enrolled||65 enrolled||79 enrolled|
|33 graduated(37.5%)||25 graduated(38.5%)||42 graduated(53.4%)|
|SFA's rate = 23.2%||SFA's rate = 38.3%||SFA's rate = 43.1%|