We stress SAFETY because it affects you, your work, and the general well being of all employees as an important part of the University.
Mission Statement: The Environmental Health, Safety and Risk Management Department will provide active leadership to enable Stephen F. Austin State University to protect employees, students, the general public, and the University's physical and financial assets by reducing and controlling risk in the most efficient and cost effective manner while adhering to all local, state, and federal regulations.
Environmental Health, Safety, and Risk Management Values include:
- Excellence - We encourage excellence and strive to go beyond compliance promoting the best EHSRM practices
- Customer Service - We are committed to providing efficient, customer-friendly service to the university community
- Continuous Improvement - We recognize that improvement is a continuous process and we strive to be at the forefront of changes in our field
Environmental Management System (EMS)
- The newly develop EMS outlines the management of SFA's environmental programs in a comprehensive, systematic, planned, and documented manner.
- It includes the environmental management policy, organizational structure, environmental requirements that apply to SFA, training programs, inspection programs, and continuing program evaluation.
- The EMS also includes information on environmental protection related to campus operating procedures, emergency preparedness, response to spills and accidental releases, and natural resource conservation.
- The EMS follows a Plan-Do-Check-Act cycle.
- The diagram below shows the process of planning the EMS, then implementing it, checking the system, and taking corrective action when needed.
A copy of SFA's current EMS can be found here: SFA Environmental Management System.
- Safety Training
- Safety Inspections
- University Insurance (Property, General Liability, Automobile, Crime, Boiler and Machinery, Director's and Officers) - see Risk Management Policy 13.19
- Workers Compensation Coverage - see Policy 12.23
- Drug and Alcohol Testing - see Policy 11.6
- Asbestos Removal- see Policy 13.4
- Fire Extinguisher Service / Fire Drills
- Construction, Renovation, Alteration Consultation (local, state, and federal regulations)
- Environmental Protection
- Hazardous Materials Disposal