We stress SAFETY because it affects you, your work, and the general well being of all employees as an important part of the University.
Mission Statement: The Environmental Health, Safety and Risk Management Department will provide active leadership to enable Stephen F. Austin State University to protect employees, students, the general public, and the University's physical and financial assets by reducing and controlling risk in the most efficient and cost effective manner while adhering to all local, state, and federal regulations.
Environmental Health, Safety, and Risk Management Values include:
- Excellence - We encourage excellence and strive to go beyond compliance promoting the best EHSRM practices
- Customer Service - We are committed to providing efficient, customer-friendly service to the university community
- Continuous Improvement - We recognize that improvement is a continuous process and we strive to be at the forefront of changes in our field
New changes to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration's (OSHA) Hazard Communication Standard are bringing the United States into alignment with the Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labeling of Chemicals (GHS).
The GHS updates to OSHA's current Hazard Communication Standard are expected to prevent injuries and illnesses by providing easier to understand communication of chemical hazards in the workplace.
THIS IS A MANDATORY TRAINING FOR ALL EMPLOYEES WHO COME INTO CONTACT WITH CHEMICALS IN THE WORKPLACE to be completed prior to November 22.
You may complete this short 5 minute online training by clicking here to login to MySFA, and then select Self-Serve Banner under the My Services tab. Once you are in Self-Serve Banner, click on the Employee link and look for Hazard Communication at the bottom of the list.
However, we understand not everyone has access to computers to do this type of training online. We also offer face to face classroom training. To schedule a classroom training for employees in your department instead of completing it online, contact Matt Romig in the Safety Dept. at 6034, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click on the links below for more information
- GHS Safety Data Sheets Info: English or Spanish
- GHS Chemical Labeling System: English or Spanish
- GHS Pictograms: English or Spanish
- Visit the OSHA Hazard Communication website by clicking here.
- Safety Training
- Safety Inspections
- University Insurance (Property, General Liability, Automobile, Crime, Boiler and Machinery, Director's and Officers) - see Risk Management Policy 13.19
- Workers Compensation Coverage - see Policy 12.23
- Drug and Alcohol Testing - see Policy 11.6
- Asbestos Removal- see Policy 13.4
- Fire Extinguisher Service / Fire Drills
- Construction, Renovation, Alteration Consultation (local, state, and federal regulations)
- Environmental Protection
- Hazardous Materials Disposal