We stress SAFETY because it affects you, your work, and the general well being of all employees as an important part of the University.
Mission Statement: The Environmental Health, Safety and Risk Management Department will provide active leadership to enable Stephen F. Austin State University to protect employees, students, the general public, and the University's physical and financial assets by reducing and controlling risk in the most efficient and cost effective manner while adhering to all local, state, and federal regulations.
Environmental Health, Safety, and Risk Management Values include:
- Excellence - We encourage excellence and strive to go beyond compliance promoting the best EHSRM practices
- Customer Service - We are committed to providing efficient, customer-friendly service to the university community
- Continuous Improvement - We recognize that improvement is a continuous process and we strive to be at the forefront of changes in our field
Hoverboard Ban - Effective Immediately
Beginning January 6, 2016 Stephen F Austin State University is prohibiting the use of self-balancing scooters, battery operated scooters, and hands-free segways, commonly known as hoverboards on campus.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission has safety concerns about these devices. Recent information has revealed that the batteries in the devices may explode while charging or spontaneously combust during use causing danger to the user, bystanders and the surrounding environment. Until the safety standards of these devices are approved by the Consumer Product Safety Commission and certified by an OSHA nationally recognized testing laboratory, the Environmental Health, Safety, and Risk Management Department is currently banning hoverboards from any university buildings or campus property.
- Safety Training
- Safety Inspections
- University Insurance (Property, General Liability, Automobile, Crime, Boiler and Machinery, Director's and Officers) - see Risk Management Policy 13.19
- Workers Compensation Coverage - see Policy 12.23
- Drug and Alcohol Testing - see Policy 11.6
- Asbestos Removal- see Policy 13.4
- Fire Extinguisher Service / Fire Drills
- Construction, Renovation, Alteration Consultation (local, state, and federal regulations)
- Environmental Protection
- Hazardous Materials Disposal