We stress SAFETY because it affects you, your work, and the general well being of all employees as an important part of the University.
Mission Statement: The Environmental Health, Safety and Risk Management Department will provide active leadership to enable Stephen F. Austin State University to protect employees, students, the general public, and the University's physical and financial assets by reducing and controlling risk in the most efficient and cost effective manner while adhering to all local, state, and federal regulations.
Environmental Health, Safety, and Risk Management Values include:
- Excellence - We encourage excellence and strive to go beyond compliance promoting the best EHSRM practices
- Customer Service - We are committed to providing efficient, customer-friendly service to the university community
- Continuous Improvement - We recognize that improvement is a continuous process and we strive to be at the forefront of changes in our field
Stay Healthy: 6 Tips for Avoiding Cold and Flu
1. Get a Flu Shot
- It's the No. 1 thing you can do to prevent getting the flu.
2. Wash Your Hands...A Lot!
- No matter what line of work you're in, you need to wash your hands frequently to avoid getting sick from germs you pick up in public places (especially if you've been around someone who is sick).
- Use soap and water to scrub ALL surfaces of your hands for at least 20 seconds. Be sure to scrub in between your fingers and under the fingernails.
- ALWAYS wash your hands before eating or drinking; touching your eyes, nose, or mouth; smoking; or applying cosmetics.
3. Use Alcohol-Based Hand Sanitizer
- If you don't have easy access to soap and water, hand sanitizer can kill cold and flu germs.
4. Avoid Getting Close to People Who Are Sick
- For example: Don't shake hands with someone who looks or sounds sick, or if you yourself are sick.
5. Keep Your Work Area Clean
- People should stay home if they're sick, but that may not always be possible.
- Sanitizing doorknobs and light switches are good practices to prevent the spread of germs.
6. Keep Up a Healthy Lifestyle
- Get adequate rest.
- Eat healthy and drink plenty of water.
- Don't smoke.
- Keep your allergies under control - if your upper respiratory system is already inflamed, it is easy for you to get a virus.
- Safety Training
- Safety Inspections
- University Insurance (Property, General Liability, Automobile, Crime, Boiler and Machinery, Director's and Officers) - see Risk Management Policy 13.19
- Workers Compensation Coverage - see Policy 12.23
- Drug and Alcohol Testing - see Policy 11.6
- Asbestos Removal- see Policy 13.4
- Fire Extinguisher Service / Fire Drills
- Construction, Renovation, Alteration Consultation (local, state, and federal regulations)
- Environmental Protection
- Hazardous Materials Disposal