We stress SAFETY because it affects you, your work, and the general well being of all employees as an important part of the University.
Mission Statement: The Environmental Health, Safety and Risk Management Department will provide active leadership to enable Stephen F. Austin State University to protect employees, students, the general public, and the University's physical and financial assets by reducing and controlling risk in the most efficient and cost effective manner while adhering to all local, state, and federal regulations.
Environmental Health, Safety, and Risk Management Values include:
- Excellence - We encourage excellence and strive to go beyond compliance promoting the best EHSRM practices
- Customer Service - We are committed to providing efficient, customer-friendly service to the university community
- Continuous Improvement - We recognize that improvement is a continuous process and we strive to be at the forefront of changes in our field
Housing Fire Safety
FACTS / TIPS
- Fires in dormitories are more common during the evening hours, between 5-11 pm, and on weekends.
- Roughly five out of six fires in dormitories are started by cooking.
- Learn your building's evacuation plan and practice all drills as if they were the real thing.
- Stay in the kitchen when cooking.
- Cook only when you are alert, not sleepy or drowsy from medicine or alcohol.
- Check your school's rules before using electrical appliances in your room.
For more information visit the National Fire Protection Association.
- Safety Training
- Safety Inspections
- Safety Inspections
- University Insurance (Property, General Liability, Automobile, Crime, Boiler and Machinery, Director's and Officers) - see Risk Management Policy 13.19
- Workers Compensation Coverage - see Policy 12.23
- Drug and Alcohol Testing - see Policy 11.6
- Asbestos Removal- see Policy 13.4
- Fire Extinguisher Service / Fire Drills
- Construction, Renovation, Alteration Consultation (local, state, and federal regulations)
- Environmental Protection
- Hazardous Materials Disposal