AUSTIN, TX (August 8, 2023) – The University of Texas (UT) System Board of Regents Chairman Kevin P. Eltife today announced the appointment of search advisory committee members who will advise the regents on selecting the next president of Stephen F. Austin State University (SFA).
The UT System recently assumed operational oversight of SFA as part of the institution’s transition from an independent university to membership in the UT System. The Nacogdoches-based university will officially become the UT System’s 14th institution in September 2023. Gina Oglesbee, SFA Vice President for Finance & Administration, will continue to serve as the university’s interim president during the search.
Search advisory committee members were appointed in accordance with Board of Regents’ Rules and Regulations, which include a provision for representation by various constituencies that are both internal and external to the institution. This includes faculty, administration, alumni, students and community members. UT System Chancellor James B. Milliken will chair the committee.
“We are excited that Stephen F. Austin State University chose to become part of the UT System, and we are very pleased with the strong collaborative efforts currently underway with SFA’s regents, faculty and staff to ensure a smooth transition,” Eltife said. “As SFA ramps up to celebrate its 100th anniversary this fall, we are eager to find the right candidate to lead this historic university into its second century of excellence, and now as a UT institution.”
Milliken added, “I am enthusiastic about the future of SFA, and look forward to working with an excellent committee comprised of individuals with a deep affection for, and longstanding relationship, with SFA. Their insight will be invaluable during the search. Our goal is to bring the Board of Regents a slate of outstanding presidential candidates who will lead SFA through many new opportunities as a UT System institution.”
The UT System will soon launch a dedicated website to provide public information regarding the search, including a regularly updated timeline of search activities, and will provide opportunity for members of the public to privately submit candidate nominations.
Representation on the SFA Presidential Search Advisory Committee includes:
- James B. Milliken, UT System Chancellor
UT System Board of Regents
- Christina Melton Crain, Dallas
- Nolan Perez, M.D., Harlingen
- Stuart W. Stedman, Houston
- Archie Holmes, Ph.D., Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
UT Institution Presidents
- Taylor Eighmy, Ph.D., UT San Antonio
- Guy Bailey, Ph.D., UT Rio Grande Valley
SFA Faculty and Staff
- Gary Wurtz, DMA, Dean, Mickey Elliott College of Fine Arts
- Jeremy Stovall, Ph.D., C.F., Bone Hill Distinguished Professor of Silviculture
- Christopher McKenna, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Business Communication and Legal Studies
- Michelle Klein, BBA, MSN, RN, Clinical Instructor, Richard and Lucille DeWitt School of Nursing
- Grace Saldana-Romero, BBA, MAIS, Assistant Director, Business Operations/Member Services, Campus Recreation
SFA Student and Alumnus
- Jada Cartwright, Student Body President
- Erika Tolar, BBA, MBA, Alumni Association President
External Community Members
- Karen Gantt, Partner, McCraw Gantt, PLLC, former Chairman of the SFA Board of Regents
- David Alders, President, Carrizo Creek Corporation, former SFA Regent
- Ron Collins, Nacogdoches Market President, Cadence Bank
- Jimmy Mize, Executive Vice President, Market President Commercial Bank of Texas, N.A.