Skip to main content

A source of guidance and support 

At SFA’s Department of Psychology, we want every student in our program to have access to the support and guidance they need to complete their degrees and make the most of their time at SFA. As a psychology student at SFA, you’ll work with a caring and dedicated advisor from freshman year to graduation.

Your advisor will help you stay on track as you earn your psychology degree and can answer questions and offer advice about career plans, internships, graduate school and more. 

Beyond degree plans

In addition to helping you plot your academic course, your advisor can help you:

  • Select courses and electives
  • Add or drop classes
  • Change your major or minor
  • Adjust to college life
  • Get back on track if you’re struggling academically

Faculty and staff

When you enter the psychology program at SFA, you’ll be assigned to a full-time staff and faculty member who will act as your advisor and work with you through your entire college career. View your advising portal in mySFA to see your assigned faculty advisor.

How to make an appointment

If you have fewer than 45 credits, you can call the College of Liberal and Applied Arts Advising Office at 936.468.2205 to make an appointment with an academic advisor.

Students who have earned 45 or more should make an appointment with their departmental advisor through the advising portal in mySFA.

Degree plans and transfer maps

Want to know more about prerequisites, coursework and degree requirements for your psychology degree? Check out the sample degree plans below: 

SFA also offers a master’s degree in psychology. Students pursuing a Master of Arts in psychology can choose a thesis or non-thesis option. For information, check out the Graduate Program page.

Advising FAQs

What kinds of career can I choose as a psychology major?  

The marketable skills you develop with a degree in psychology opens the door to various careers ranging from human resources to management and marketing. 

What is a degree plan? And when do I need to file one? 

A degree plan is a formal statement of requirements a student must complete in order to graduate. When you approach 90 credit hours, you should contact your advisor to submit an official degree plan and complete a 90-hour check form. The intention of the 90-hour check is to identify all of the remaining courses that need to be completed in order to graduate.

What minor should I choose as a psychology major?  

Most psychology majors choose minors that are in the social and behavioral sciences (sociology, anthropology, criminal justice and so on). However, you can choose any minor you think will complement your major and your career aspirations. 

For example, if you are interested in one of the following areas of work, you may want to minor in the areas of study listed for each:

  • Development, school or educational: child development and family living, early intervention or a non-teaching minor in special education
  • Industrial or organizational: general business, business communication or leadership
  • Neuroscience: biology or human health perspectives
  • Clinical or counseling: addiction studies, rehabilitation services or a non-teaching minor in special education
  • Social: sociology, gender studies, applied statistics, communication studies or political science 
  • Health psychology or sports psychology: human health perspectives, kinesiology, food and nutrition or health science/community health
  • Forensic or legal psychology: criminal justice, pre-law study or rehabilitation studies

Will my advisor help me find an internship?  

Advisors will help guide you in the right direction when searching for internships. However, it is your responsibility to do the search. 

What if I want to change my major or minor?  

Changing your major or minor is easy. Just visit with the advising center of the college that houses your new major or minor. 

Students on academic probation or suspension may change majors with an approval from their current and receiving deans.

What is academic probation?  

A student is placed on academic probation after the first regular semester in which the cumulative grade point average falls below 2.0. Students on academic probation whose semester grade point average is 2.0 or higher will be allowed to continue on academic probation until the cumulative grade point average is 2.0 or higher. Academic probation will continue until the student achieves good standing or is placed on academic suspension. 

What is academic suspension?  

A student on academic probation will be placed on academic suspension if the student's semester grade point average falls below 2.0. 


A student on academic suspension may be allowed to continue in the university through any of the following procedures: 

  • Meet conditions established by the student’s dean; or 
  • Be readmitted provisionally automatically after one regular semester’s absence from the university. Following a second or subsequent academic suspension and absence from the university for two regular semesters, be readmitted automatically. Summer terms are exempt from periods of academic suspension. Automatic readmission will not occur if the student takes courses elsewhere and fails to attain a grade point average of 2.0 for those courses; or,
  • After the first academic suspension, attend summer school at Stephen F. Austin State University and either raise the cumulative grade point average to 2.0 or above or obtain a grade point average of 2.0 or above for at least nine semester credit hours in courses specified by the student’s dean.

How – and when – do I file for graduation?  

For more information about applying for graduation, click here.

Please see the following for detailed information concerning psychology majors applying for graduation:

  • Apply in person at the graduation office located in Room 201 on the second floor of the Rusk Building.
  • Fill out the preliminary audit form on the psychology website.
  • Once the preliminary audit is completed by the coordinator, students will meet with the coordinator to finalize graduation plans:
    • The student and the coordinator will go over and sign the Intent to Graduate form.
    • The coordinator will develop and sign the official plan of study. 
    • Paperwork is signed by the Chair.
    • Paperwork is sent to the Dean’s office for further processing.


Department of Psychology

McKibben Education Building
Room 215

Mailing Address:
PO Box 13046, SFA Station
Nacogdoches, Texas 75962


Request Information for Future Students

Please fill out the form below to receive information from SFA. If you’re not a future student and want to reach out to us, use our contact form.

Fields marked with * are required.

Who are you?*

Date of Birth*

Mailing Address (Be sure to add your apt. or unit # or P.O. Box, if applicable)*

When would you like to attend SFA and what will be your major?

Are you any of these types of students?