Stephen F. Austin State University


Frequently Asked Questions - Advising

How do I apply for graduation?

To apply for graduation you need to initially contact your current academic advisor to determine your eligibility. Once your academic advisor has cleared you for graduation you will then need to apply for graduation per university policy.

Dates for application:

  • MAY Commencement - Applications are taken September 15 through November 15 of prior year.
  • AUGUST Commencement - Applications are taken January 2 through March 2 of same year.
  • DECEMBER Commencement - Applications are taken April 1 through June 1 of same year.

It is important for students to be aware of the deadlines to avoid additional late fees, in addition to the standard fees for graduation. Follow the link below for procedures and general information concerning graduation.

Graduation Website

How do I schedule an advising appointment?

Forestry, Environmental Science, and Spatial Science students contact the ATCOFA main office at 936.468.3301 or email to schedule an appointment with an advisor.

Agriculture students contact the Agriculture department at 936.468.3705.

What should I bring to my advising appointment?

It is strongly recommended that students make appointments to see their advisor - this ensures the staff has time to prepare for the conversation. Students who come to their advising appointments on time and prepared will likely have a more satisfying experience. Students should look at the courses offered in the upcoming semesters and come with an idea of what they would like to register for. They should also have a list of any questions they have for the advisor, in order to make good use of the appointment time. Students should also use their advising appointment time as an opportunity to discuss resume development, internship possibilities, and career advising.

Students should also bring a flash drive - in-progress degree plans are often too large to email.

I'm a prospective student and am coming to SFA for a campus tour. Can I meet with someone in forestry as well?
Yes! We are happy to arrange meetings with prospective students (and their families) while they are here on visits. Call the main office at 936.468.3301 to set up an appointment with an advisor.
I want to take a summer class at a two-year college or another institution. What will transfer?

Visit our Transfer Information page for a list of Texas Common Course Numbers, which list classes at community colleges that will transfer to SFA to meet degree plan requirements.

For classes taken at another four-year college or university, consult an academic advisor before registering to see what will successfully transfer back to SFA.

Remember that the credit for classes, but not the grades, transfer in to SFA.

I am on academic probation or academic suspension. What do I need to do?
Contact your academic advisor to discuss policies and procedures for students on probation or suspension. Students who have not taken classes for a semester or longer will need to reapply for admission to the university. Information about that process can be found here.
How do I register for classes?
This document explains the process of registering for classes on mySFA.