Hands-on chemistry education
SFA’s chemistry and biochemistry programs combine the high standards demanded by the American Chemical Society with small class sizes and hands-on learning. Students utilize our high-tech labs under the guidance and mentorship of phenomenal faculty and begin research early in their academic studies.
You’ll graduate prepared for a rewarding career in a variety of settings. Want to be a chemistry teacher? You can pursue a bachelor’s degree with secondary teacher certification. Interested in becoming a professional chemist? Our degree program will put you on the path to graduate school or to a career in a laboratory setting.
Degrees and areas of study offered
The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry awards two degrees:
Bachelor of Science
- Professional Chemist ACS certified
- Secondary Education
- Pre-professional programs (dentistry, medicine, optometry, pharmacy and veterinary)
Master of Science in Natural Sciences
- Natural Sciences, with an concentration in chemistry - thesis option
- Natural Sciences, with a concentration in chemistry - non-thesis option
Five-year dual Bachelor's and Master's
- Bachelor’s in chemistry / Master’s in natural sciences with chemistry concentration
- Bachelor’s in biochemistry / Master’s in natural sciences with chemistry concentration