Experiential education opportunities
Designed to provide SFA students with experiential education opportunities in the form of internships through collaboration with the campus community and area employers, the Lumberjack Internship Program offers resources and mentorship to prepare you for career experience outside the classroom.
Top 7 reasons why YOU should intern!
1. Provide résumé-building experiences while applying academic concepts.
2. Increase your transferrable skill sets which in turn increases marketability to employers.
3. Generally facilitate a higher starting salary for full-time employment.
4. Allow exposure to real-world problems and issues not found in textbooks.
5. Increase self-confidence while building professionalism.
6. Offer opportunities to evaluate specific careers prior to committing with full-time employment, a "try before you buy" experience.
7. Help you develop a network of contacts at the same time as providing you with professionals who offer mentoring and feedback.
Questions to consider when pursuing an internship
- Does your major require an internship to graduate?
- Are you completing this internship for course credit? If so, what are the requirements?
- Will you only be considering paid internships or are you willing to volunteer?
- What semester do you plan on interning?
- Will you be taking classes while completing your internship?
- How many hours per week are you looking to work?
- To what part of the city, state, country, or world are you willing to relocate?
- What do you hope to achieve in this opportunity?
Is this internship for real?
All internship offerings must meet a certain criteria to be accepted as a true internship. Not sure what to look for in a legitimate opportunity? Review the Internship Criteria form to be certain the internship you are looking at has the same information for you before applying.
Find your internship opportunities
Students who would like to meet individually with one of our team members should submit a request through their Handshake account:
- Click on "Career Center" at the top of the homepage.
- Select "Appointments".
- Click “Schedule a New Appointment” and select "Job and Internship Search".
- Select the date and time that works best for your schedule!
If you are seeking an on-campus internship, visit the internship postings facilitated online through Human Resources.