Skip to main content

Chart a course for success

Interested in exploring potential career paths in science, technology, engineering and math? Your SFA advisor will help you successfully transition to college life and assist you in making responsible decisions aligned with your goals, interests and degree requirements. They’ll also help you keep track of your academic progress.

Services offered

In addition to helping you with your official degree plan, your advisor can help you:

  • Change your major or minor
  • Strengthen your study skills through programs focused on study tips, time management and organizational skills
  • Get on track if you’re struggling academically
  • Be placed in a shadowing rotation for the Pre-Health Professions Program
  • File your degree plan
  • File for graduation

Finding your advisor

To find your advisor or to make an appointment, follow the steps below:

  • Log into mySFA 
  • Click on the "Advising" tab
  • In the "My Advisor" portal, go to your assigned advisor
  • Click on "Schedule an appointment with your advisor"

For additional assistance, please call 936.468.3902, or visit Suite 127 of the Miller Science Building. 

Official degree plans

A degree plan summarizes what you have taken so far and what is left for you to take to complete your degree. All majors, with the exception of nursing, must have a degree plan on file after completing at least 30 hours of college credit. Nursing majors will complete their degree plan upon admission to the DeWitt School of Nursing. To start the process, visit the Advising Center.

Advising FAQs

What if I want to change majors or minors?

Changing your major or minor is easy. Just visit with the advising center of the college that houses your new major or minor. 

Students on academic probation or suspension may change majors with approval from their current and receiving deans.

What is academic probation?

A student is placed on academic probation after the first regular semester in which the cumulative GPA falls below 2.0. Students on academic probation whose semester GPA is 2.0 or higher will be allowed to continue on academic probation until the cumulative GPA is 2.0 or higher. Academic probation will continue until the student achieves good standing or is placed on academic suspension. 

What is academic suspension?

A student on academic probation will be placed on academic suspension if the student's semester GPA falls below 2.0. 


A student on academic suspension may be allowed to continue in the university through any of the following procedures: 

  • Meet conditions established by the student’s dean; or 
  • Be readmitted automatically on a provisional basis after one regular semester’s absence from the university. Following a second or subsequent academic suspension and absence from the university for two regular semesters, be readmitted automatically. Summer terms are exempt from periods of academic suspension. Automatic readmission will not occur if the student takes courses elsewhere and fails to attain a GPA of 2.0 for those courses; or
  • After the first academic suspension, attend summer school at Stephen F. Austin State University and either raise the cumulative GPA to 2.0 or above or obtain a GPA of 2.0 or above for at least 9 semester credit hours in courses specified by the student’s dean.

How – and when – do I file for graduation?

Visit the Office of the Registrar's Application Information page for details on applying for graduation and important deadlines. The application window in which you should apply occurs the semester prior to your graduation date.


College of Sciences and Mathematics
Advising Center

Physical Address:
Miller Science Building
Suite 127

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 13076, SFA Station
Nacogdoches, Texas 75962