Individuals seeking certification through SFA must follow these policies:
- An individual is eligible to sit for a test upon completion of all coursework required for the test.
- An individual must have clearance from the appropriate department to take a test.
- An individual will be approved for only one test at a time.
- An individual who fails a test must retake the failed test and pass it before being cleared to take a different test.
- An individual must pass the appropriate TExES/AAFCS test in his/her content area prior to clinical teaching.
- According to the Texas Administrative Code, only four subsequent attempts on a certification exam are allowed after an initial failed attempt. This means that SFA can clear individuals for only five total attempts on any certification exam.
- Individuals are eligible to take additional TExES exams after passing their TExES/AAFCS exams (content exam and edTPA) for the standard certificate. An example includes the TExES154: ESL Supplemental.
- Individuals who are successful on the additional exams can get these certifications added to their certificate after TEA has issued their standard certificate (four to six weeks after graduation).
You must pass the TExES examinations in your specific content area and in edTPA prior to being eligible to apply for your standard certificate.
Note: If you do not pass the content exam, you must seek remediation from the program coordinator. The program coordinator will create a remediation plan and will allow you to retest only after successfully meeting all requirements of the plan.
At the program coordinator’s discretion, you may be required to postpone clinical teaching until successfully completing the remediation plan and passing the content exam.
Certification testing clearance request
- Log in to mySFA.
- Click the Academics tab.
- Click Certification Testing Clearance Request Form.
- Select the name of your certification exam.
- If you agree with the listed terms and conditions, check the box.
- Click on the “Click to submit request for test” button.
- Click “Return” after processing.
- View the status of your request.
Once you have submitted your request, it will route to your program’s testing advisor
Upon approval by your program’s testing advisor, you will be notified via email that your approval has been uploaded to TEA. The email will contain registration instructions.