Skip to main content

College is a time of exploration and discovery, of increasing individuality and going your own way. At SFA, your academic advisor will help guide your growth and development, so you feel independent but never alone on your journey.

In the James I. Perkins College of Education's Office of Student Services and Advising, our advisors specialize in areas of study and are passionate about helping you succeed. Always within reach, your dedicated advisor will work with you from your first day on campus until graduation, understanding your educational goals, providing academic counseling, making sure you stay on track with your degree plan and helping you access all the important campus resources SFA offers.

Some of the formal services we offer include:

  • resources to help build efficient study habits
  • changing your major or minor
  • making course substitutions
  • academic appeals and getting back on track
  • exploring potential career paths
  • identifying and applying for internships
  • understanding academic policies
  • and filing for graduation.

Scheduling an appointment

You’ll meet with your advisor once a semester to talk about courses, your progress toward your degree and career goals. They’ll also answer any questions about your degree program and provide advice about classes.

But any time you need support, they’re always available to talk. Our open-door policy means you can visit with your advisors whenever you need help making smooth transitions throughout your collegiate life. To make an appointment with your advisor:

  1. Log into mySFA.
  2. Click on the "Advising" tab.
  3. In the "My Advisor" box, view your primary advisor.
  4. Click on "Schedule an appointment with your advisor."

Meet your academic advisor

Area of Study or ConcentrationAcademic Advisor
Aviation sciencesDeanna McCollum
Communication sciences and disordersChrystine Ceja
Construction managementCrystal Deckard
Deaf and hard of hearingChrystine Ceja
Dietetics and nutritional sciencesCrystal Deckard
EC through 6 (On-campus)Rachel Lowrance
EC through 6 (Online Link-Ed program)Deanna McCollum
Family and consumer sciencesDiana Tannery
Food and nutritionCrystal Deckard
Public healthChrystine Ceja
Hospitality administrationStephanie Strahl
Human development and family studiesDiana Tannery
Interior designCrystal Deckard
Kinesiology (All-level teaching)Crystal Deckard
Kinesiology (Exercise science)Audra Bachus
Mid-level grades 4 through 8Diana Tannery
Mid-level grades 4 through 8 (Online)Diana Tannery
Special educationStephanie Strahl


Graduate students

Visit the Graduate Studies webpage.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a degree plan? And when do I need to file one?

A degree plan summarizes what you have taken so far and what is left for you to take to complete your degree.

Undergraduates must file one after they have completed 30 hours of college credits. To start the process for an undergraduate degree, visit the Office of Student Services and Advising.

Graduate students must file a plan prior to completing 15 credit hours. Visit the Graduate Studies page for more details.

What if I want to change majors or minors?

Changing your major or minor is easy. Just visit with your current undergraduate academic advisor.

What is considered good academic standing, probation and suspension?

A student must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 to remain in good academic standing. Refer to university policy 6.4 (PDF) for details on academic probation, suspension, and eligibility for reinstatement.

Undergraduate students: Summer term is an opportunity to improve your GPA and your academic standing. If your summer term GPA is below 2.0, you will not be placed on academic suspension. Instead, your academic standing will be carried over from the spring term.

When do I file for graduation?

Visit the Office of the Registrar's Applying to Graduate webpage for complete details, including important dates and deadlines.



James I. Perkins College of Education
Office of Student Services and Advising

Staff directory

Physical Address:
McKibben Education Building
Suite 118

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 6103, SFA Station
Nacogdoches, Texas 75962