Disability Services Off-Campus Resources

Services listed here may be useful to Stephen F. Austin State University students with disabilities.



Division for Blind Services, which helps Texans who are blind or visually impaired to obtain employment of choice and to live independently in their communities. To locate an office in your area go to http://www.dars.state.tx.us/dbs/DBSoffices.asp

Back to Top



Division for Rehabilitation Services, which helps Texans with disabilities to obtain employment of choice and to live independently in their communities.  To locate the office in your area  go to http://www.dars.state.tx.us/drs/DRSoffices.asp

Now a part of DRS, the Office for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services works in partnership with Texans who are deaf or hard of hearing to eliminate communication barriers and enable them to express their freedoms, participate in society to their individual potential and reduce their isolation.  

Need a Certificate of Deafness for Tuition Waiver?  Tuition waivers are provided to eligible applicants attending or planning on attending state supported post-secondary schools in Texas.

Back to Top



SFA Students have access to local DARS courtesy counselors.  Courtesy counselors are willing to assist you in facilitating services provided by your hometown DARS counselor.

  • Local Division of Blind Services Counselor

    Division of Blind Services (DBS) is a state vocational rehabilitation agency designed to provide academic training to blind and visually impaired students. Specifically, DAR-DBS offers assistance obtaining a course of study related to the student's vocational objective and the attainment of a college degree required for entry level employment in that chosen field.

    Services offered by DARS- DBS may include: counseling, tuition exemption, reader services, maintenance, equipment, diagnostic testing, academic/vocational planning, and payment of tuition and fees. DARS-DBS provides reader services which supply blind students with assistance in oral reading, research and cataloging when needed for academic or vocational training.

    For additional information regarding DARS-DBS, consumers may either contact the home counselor in the county of your permanent residence. To locate your counselor go to http://www.dars.state.tx.us/dbs/index.shtml.

    SFA students who are receiving services through the Division of Blind services may contact the courtesy counselor in the local Lufkin Office.

    Hannah Cobb, M.A., CRC, Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor
    Division for Blind Services
    3201 S. Medford Dr. Suite No. 5
    Lufkin,  TX 75901
    Email: Hannah.cobb@dars.state.tx.us
    Telephone: (936) 630-3960
    Fax: (936) 687-3978
    TOLL FREE: 1-800-687-7033

Back to Top



SFA Students have access to local DARS courtesy counselors.  Courtesy counselors are willing to assist you in facilitating services provided by your hometown DARS counselor.

  • Local Division of Rehabilitation Services Counselor

    Division of Rehabilitation Services - DARS offers special aid to students who have certain physical or emotional disabilities. Eligibility for services requires that the individual have a physical or mental disability which constitutes or results in a substantial handicap to employment, and vocational rehabilitation services may reasonably be expected to benefit the individual in terms of employment.

    Additional information regarding DARS services may be obtained by contacting home counselors in the country of your permanent residence.

    You can locate your home counselor go to the DARS web site. http://www.dars.state.tx.us/drs/DRSoffices.asp

    If you are a current DARS client and need assistance on the SFA campus you may contact the courtesy counselor listed below:

    Susan K. Reed, M.A., CRC, Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor
    Nacogdoches Field Office
    Box 632616
    Nacogdoches TX 75963-2616
    Telephone (936) 468-2918
    Fax (936) 468-1376

Back to Top



The District is a general public transportation provider.  The provider operates Fixed Routes, Demand and Response, and Paratransit Service.  A Handi-pass allows users with impairment to ride at a reduced rate.  Applications are available on the web site.

Back to Top



Relay Texas provides telephone interpreting service between people who can hear and those who are deaf, hard of hearing, deaf-blind and speech disabled. (711) or (1-800-735-2989)

Back to Top



Office of Disability Employment Policy under the Department of Labor
202-376-6200 (voice) or 202-376-6205 (TTY)

Job Accommodation Network, A Service of the President's Committee
800-526-7234 (voice/TTY)

Architectural and Transportation Barriers Compliance Board
800-872-2253 (voice/TTY) or 202-272-5434 (voice) or 202-272-5449 (TTY)

U.S. Department of Justice
202-514-0301 (voice) or 202-514-0383 (TTY) or 800-514-0301 (voice) or 800-514-0383 (TTY)

U.S. Department of Transportation
202-366-9306 or 1656 (voice) or 202-366-7687 or 2979 (TTY)

Disability Rights Education and Defense Fund
202-986-0375 (voice/TTY) or 510-644-2555 (voice) or 510-644-2626 (TTY)

Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
800-669-4000 (voice) or 800-669-3302 (TTY) 800-669-3362 Publications only (voice)

Federal Communications Commission
202-632-7260 or 634-1808 (voice) or 202-632-6999 (TTY)

National Association of the Deaf
301-587-1788 (voice) or 301-587-1789 (TTY)

National Association of Protection and Advocacy Systems
202-408-9514 (voice) or 202-408-9521 (TTY)

National Center for Law and the Deaf
202-651-5373 (voice/TTY)

National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research
202-205-9151 (voice) or 202-205-9136 (TTY)

Project Action - National Easter Seal Society
202-347-3066 (voice) or 202-347-7385 (TTY)

Rehabilitation Services Administration
202-205-5482 (voice) or 202-205-5538 (TTY)

Top of page

Become a Student Academics & Research Students Alumni & Friends Faculty & Staff Arts & Athletics A-Z List