Skip to main content

Remember to check your deadlines often as dates may change.

Are you eligible to apply?

To be eligible to apply for graduation, you must have the following credit hours completed and posted to your transcript:

  • Bachelor's candidates: 85 hours
  • Master's candidates: 9 hours
  • Doctoral candidates: 36 hours

Important information for fall graduates

  • You may need credit hours from spring courses to meet the minimums stated above.
  • If so, wait until spring grades post to your transcript and your GPA is updated to reflect your eligibility to apply.
  • Apply on time: May 20 to June 1.  Graduation fees increase June 2.

Submit your graduation application on time

Applications open eight months prior to the graduation month. Apply on time to avoid the fee increase! If you are planning to participate in commencement, be aware of the possible implications if your application is not processed at least two months before your commencement ceremony. 

Students may apply on time for graduation during the following dates:

  • Spring graduates: Sept. 15 to Nov. 15
  • Summer graduates: Jan. 2 to March 2
  • Fall graduates: April 1 to June 1
    • Applicable for fall graduates who do not need to wait for spring credit hours.

How late applications may affect commencement ceremony participation:

Late applications are processed by hand and in the order in which they are received. It may take several months to complete your request. This process puts you at risk of missing important deadlines to appear in the commencement program and being seated last in the ceremony.

Applications submitted two weeks prior to ceremony: Students who apply for graduation during the two weeks prior to the ceremony will not be permitted to participate.

Apply through mySFA

Once you're eligible, you may log in to mySFA and apply for graduation

Tutorials for applying via mySFA:
Eligible to apply, but unable to access the application portal?
  • Fall graduation candidates: Revisit the mySFA page as soon as final grades are posted for the semester.
    • Note: Maymester, summer I and summer II are considered a single semester.
  • Spring and summer graduation candidates: Use the email application.

Email application (use only if directed)

Do not use the email application unless otherwise directed by the Office of the Registrar.

  1. Download the fillable request for graduation audit (PDF).
  2. Enter your information.
  3. Print.
  4. Sign application at the bottom. No electronic signatures accepted.
  5. Scan and email to

What's next?

After you apply for graduation, you need to:

  • stay aware of upcoming deadlines specific to your graduation date
  • continue with the process of finalizing details to ensure a smooth graduation experience.

Next steps

FAQ on applying to graduate

What if I need to change my graduation date?

If you have already applied to graduate and need to delay graduation to a later semester, email from your student email.

Include your:

  • name
  • campus ID number
  • and a request to delete your graduation application.

It is helpful to copy your academic advisor on this email. Once the graduation team deletes your application, you will be notified via email and may reapply for a different semester.

What if I need to change my legal name?

If you intend to apply for graduation and know you will need to change your legal name, follow these steps:

  1. Apply to graduate.
  2. Update your university record using the legal name change form on our Forms and Resources page. Documentation is required. You will receive a confirmation once it has been completed.
  3. Email from your student email. Include your:
    • name
    • campus ID number
    • and a request to update your diploma name.

You will receive a confirmation once the change has been completed.

Although with proper documentation, this process can be completed rather quickly, it is optimal that this process be completed two to four months prior to your graduation date.

Did I already apply?

If you're unsure whether you've already applied to graduate, check your personal graduation information through mySFA.

How can I know if I might graduate with honors?

Visit the Honors and Distinction webpage for details on graduating with Latin Honors or as a University Scholar.

Do application changes affect commencement participation?

Updates to your graduation application, other than the commencement date, should be emailed to

If you or your advisor notify the Office of the Registrar that you're not eligible to graduate when expected, your application for graduation will be deleted and you will not be eligible to participate in commencement.

Your graduation fee is nonrefundable. You must reapply for a different term's graduation, pay the fee and will have the option to participate in that term's commencement ceremony. 

Contact the Office of the Registrar

Open: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Call: 936.468.2501
Visit: Rusk Building, Second Floor
Staff directory

Find us on X 

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 13050 SFA Station
Nacogdoches, TX 75962