Saturday, Aug. 7 commencement ceremony details
Candidates must arrive 45 minutes before the ceremony start time.
|9:30 a.m.||2020 May and Aug. Graduates
James I. Perkins College of Education
|12:30 p.m.||Nelson Rusche College of Business
Arthur Temple College of Forestry and Agriculture
College of Fine Arts
College of Liberal and Applied Arts
College of Sciences and Mathematics
Ceremony location, days and times are subject to change. Candidates for graduation should check their student email regularly. Ceremonies will be located at the Johnson Coliseum.
Candidates and guests must have a ticket
All candidates and guests must have a ticket to enter the commencement ceremony for which the ticket is valid. This process helps university officials ensure the venue is not overcrowded and adequate spacing can be maintained during the event. Candidates must reserve their guests' tickets before the deadline. Admission to the ceremony is free; children 0 to 4 years of age do not need a ticket.
Candidate arrival instructions
- Arrive 45 minutes before your ceremony start time.
- Upon entering the Johnson Coliseum, follow directional signage to pick up a seating card.
- Do not roll or fold this card at any point while it is in your possession as it will be scanned to announce your name and any honors earned as you cross the stage.
- If the ceremony is not a ticketed event, you also will find your pre-commencement seating assignment on the card.
- Complete the back of the seating card for the photographer.
- Proceed to the appropriate section, row and seat for your pre-ceremony seating.
Approximately 15 minutes before your ceremony start time:
A commencement coordinator will provide academic procession instructions and candidates will be escorted to the proper seating on the coliseum floor.
When you approach the stage:
You will hand your card to the commencement coordinator to be scanned. Your name will be announced and displayed as you cross the stage.
By choosing to participate, each student is committing to stay for the entire ceremony. Participating students are not permitted to leave early.
The commencement program lists applicants or candidates for degrees. Appearance in the program and attendance of a candidate at the ceremony is no guarantee of degree completion.
As a formal ceremony, all attendees are expected to abide by any protocol or guidelines issued by the university which will, at a minimum, include the following:
- All attendees must follow all written and verbal instructions.
- All attendees must remain seated during the ceremony and remain for the entire ceremony.
- All graduates are required to wear formal academic attire.
- All cell phones or other electronic devices must be silenced.
- The possession or use of air horns and any other artificial noisemaker, fireworks, balloons, flags, or banners is prohibited.
Any attendee who is disruptive or fails to follow instructions may be escorted from the venue. Each SFA graduate and guest deserves to enjoy a ceremony that reflects the candidate's significant accomplishment without inappropriate or excessive interruptions.
Read university policy 6.8 (PDF) for full details of expectations.
Watch ceremony online
The ceremony will be publicly live-streamed on the SFA Facebook page. You do not need a Facebook account to watch. The livestream recording also will be available after the ceremony ends.
Commencement ceremonies will be photographed by GradImages. We will update this page as ordering details become available.
Commencement ceremonies occurring May 2021 and prior were photographed by Dallas-based Flash Photography. View ordering options on their SFA ceremonies page, or enter department code "DP4" on their homepage.