Saturday, Dec. 11, commencement ceremony details
Candidates must arrive 45 minutes before the ceremony start time.
|9 a.m.||Nelson Rusche College of Business
Department of Education Studies
May and August 2020 Graduates
|Noon||Department of Human Services and Educational Leadership
School of Human Sciences
College of Fine Arts
Arthur Temple College of Forestry and Agriculture
|3 p.m.||Department of Kinesiology
College of Liberal and Applied Arts
College of Sciences and Mathematics
Ceremony location, days and times are subject to change. Candidates for graduation should check their student email regularly. Ceremonies will be held in Johnson Coliseum.
Guests must have a ticket
All guests must have a ticket to enter the commencement ceremony for which the ticket is valid. This process helps university officials ensure the venue is not overcrowded and adequate spacing can be maintained during the event. Candidates are limited to reserving 10 tickets for guests and must reserve their guests' tickets before the deadline. Admission to the ceremony is free; children 0 to 4 years of age do not need a ticket.
Candidates who would like more than the maximum tickets should advise their guests to follow the ticket procedure for general public.
Candidate arrival instructions
- Arrive 45 minutes before your ceremony start time.
- Upon entering Johnson Coliseum, follow directional signage to pick up a seating card.
- Don't roll or fold this card at any point while it is in your possession as it will be scanned to announce your name and any honors earned as you cross the stage.
- If the ceremony isn't a ticketed event, you also will find your commencement seating assignment on the card.
- Complete the back of the seating card for the photographer.
- Proceed to the appropriate section, row and seat for your ceremony seating.
Approximately 15 minutes before your ceremony start time:
A commencement coordinator will provide academic procession instructions and candidates will be escorted to the proper seating on the coliseum floor.
When you approach the stage:
You'll hand your card to the commencement coordinator to be scanned. Your name will be announced and displayed as you cross the stage.
By choosing to participate, each student is committing to stay for the entire ceremony. Participating students aren't permitted to leave early.
The commencement program lists applicants or candidates for degrees. Appearance in the program and attendance of a candidate at the ceremony is no guarantee of degree completion.
Faculty arrival instructions
No ticket requirement for faculty members.
We encourage you to enter Johnson Coliseum through the south entrance, located at the rear of the building, and proceed to the tunnel in preparation for the academic procession.
Approximately 15 minutes before the ceremony start time:
Participating faculty members will line up and follow the faculty marshal through the academic procession.
SFA is proud to once again welcome the community to celebrate with our graduation candidates. December 2021 commencement ceremonies will be ticketed events with reserved seating for community members.
Tickets are free, valid only for one ceremony, and will be issued on a first-come, first-served basis. Visit the Johnson Coliseum Ticket Office one hour before the ceremony begins to be eligible to receive a ticket for the commencement ceremony you wish to attend.
As a formal ceremony, all attendees are expected to abide by any protocol or guidelines issued by the university which will, at a minimum, include the following:
- All attendees must follow all written and verbal instructions.
- All attendees must remain seated during the ceremony and remain for the entire ceremony.
- All graduates are required to wear formal academic attire.
- All cell phones or other electronic devices must be silenced.
- The use of air horns and any other artificial noisemaker, fireworks, balloons, flags, or banners is prohibited.
Any attendee who is disruptive or fails to follow instructions may be escorted from the venue. Each SFA graduate and guest deserves to enjoy a ceremony that reflects the candidate's significant accomplishment without inappropriate or excessive interruptions.
Read university policy 6.8 (PDF) for full details of expectations.
Commencement ceremonies are photographed by GradImages.
Photo proofs are sent to each graduate that provides an email or mailing address.
Commencement ceremonies occurring May 2021 and prior were photographed by Dallas-based Flash Photography. View ordering options on their SFA ceremonies page, or enter department code "DP4" on their homepage.