As part of the application process, you'll visit with dance faculty to showcase your abilities. The dance program holds audition days throughout the year for incoming first-year and transfer students.
Admission decisions also are communicated with one of the following responses:
- acceptance as a dance major with a scholarship from the School of Theatre and Dance
- acceptance as a dance major with no scholarship from the School of Theatre and Dance
- provisional acceptance
- or non-acceptance as a dance major (students admitted to the university may choose a different major).
Final acceptance into the School of Theatre and Dance is contingent upon successful admission to SFA.
Submitting your portfolio
Your first step toward applying to the program is to submit a portfolio by emailing the following audition materials to email@example.com:
- your headshot photo
- resumé with dance background
- links to dance film projects, if applicable
- and a completed audition form PDF.
Auditioning for the program
Complete the online audition application and select a date that works best for you. Remember, your portfolio must be received before your audition date.
Expected audition attire: You must wear a black leotard, black leggings and have ballet slippers.
Unable to attend an in-person audition?
If you're unable to attend an in-person audition, you still must select an in-person date on your online audition application. This serves as your deadline to submit a video audition. Remember, your portfolio must be received before your audition date.
Video audition must contain:
- ballet barre work
- adagio and allegro movement
- jazz dance leaps, turns and style
- and modern dance body connectivity, use of contraction/release, floor work and clear use of breath.
Submit your video audition to firstname.lastname@example.org. Links to YouTube videos or an external file hosting site (like Dropbox or Google Drive) also are acceptable. Include the your first and last name in the file name or YouTube video title.
Pliés in the Pines at SFA
A full-day immersive experience for high school seniors, Pliés in the Pines at SFA is a chance to live a day as a Lumberjack. There also is an opportunity to audition for acceptance to and scholarships within the SFA School of Theatre and Dance.