One of the ways our students learn and grow so rapidly as SFA theatre and dance majors is by engaging with other nations and other cultures. We welcome a significant number of international students each year, and many of our students study abroad in surprisingly affordable programs extending to Ireland, England, Spain and Estonia. Scholarship support is provided for every study abroad experience.
To learn more about study abroad opportunities, visit the Office of International Program's study abroad webpage.
European opportunities abound for theatre students
Students admitted to SFA's Bachelor of Fine Arts in Theatre program may apply to spend their junior or senior year abroad at major professional training institutions in partial fulfillment of their degree requirements.
- Rose Bruford College
- The leading professional theatre school in the university sector in London, England.
- L'Institut Del Teatre
- One of Europe's leading theatre conservatories and has an international reputation operating in and from the heart of Barcelona, Spain.
- Instruction is in English.
- Real Escuela Superior de Arte Dramático de Madrid
- RESAD is Spain's royal dramatic academy and the nation's most prestigious center for the training of actors is an option for European Theatre Arts students prepared to receive five months of instruction in Spanish.
- Estonian Academy of Music and Theatre - Department of Drama
- Estonia's foremost theatre conservatory where SFA students can study the Stanislavsky system with leading teaching artists trained at the Moscow Art Theatre.
- Instruction is in English.
During this year of study, students will have the opportunity to study performance and staging practices of a variety of European countries through practical workshops, production projects, lectures and seminars. Students enrolled in the program spend most or all of their fall term at Rose Bruford in London, and most or all of their spring term in Spain or Estonia.
Real opportunities in professional theatre companies
Students in SFA's stage management concentration have the option of spending a year in the parallel program at Rose Bruford College in London, England.
SFA students pursuing a concentration in design and technical theatre may also study in London, spending a year in Rose Bruford Colleges's Theatre Design program, which includes an internship at a major professional theatre company in Great Britain.
Summer in Ireland, Scotland and London
In the summer, SFA theatre students may have an opportunity to study Irish theatre, Shakespeare in London or performing in Scotland. Intensive classes, in-depth exploration, workshops and cultural immersion are huge draws of these opportunities.
Theatre and dance students gain valuable touring experience, from marketing to performing to connecting with professionals worldwide in the arts industry, by participating in the Festival Fringe in Edinburgh, Scotland, which is the world's largest arts and media festival.
Professional theatre productions, guided historical tours, backstage tours at major theatres, seminars with local scholars and arts professionals are just a few of the many ways students are engaged on their study abroad.
Welcoming international students from Rose Bruford College
Every year students from Rose Bruford College spend the second year of their three-year program in American Theatre Arts at SFA. Most of these students are British, but many come from other countries such as Iceland and Nigeria. They unite with SFA's students in classes, productions and social interactions, bringing international perspectives to our work and learning the American theatre from the inside.