Skip to main content

Where can I work after I finish nursing school?

SFA graduates are employed all over Texas and across the United States, with many of our nurses working in the military stationed globally. Students graduate highly skilled, making them competitive for nurse residency programs in major medical centers, children's and women's hospitals, and clinics.

Many Lumberjack nurses go on to graduate school after a few years of practice, pursuing nurse practitioner and certified registered nurse anesthetist programs.

What is a degree plan? And when do I need to file one?

A degree plan is a formal statement of requirements a student must complete in order to graduate. To be official, a degree plan must be certified by the college of the student's major. Nursing students will receive a degree plan the semester they are admitted to the SFA School of Nursing. 

For more information regarding degree plans, please email

What are the application deadlines?

Applications may be submitted at any time, but they must meet the following deadlines:

  • Feb. 1 to enroll in fall semester
  • Aug. 15 to enroll in spring semester

The application process is conducted through the NursingCAS system, and you are encouraged to begin the process at least two months before the deadline date. All applications must be verified by NursingCAS before the application deadline. This process can take between 4 - 6 weeks.

Are the application deadlines ever extended?

No. We recommend that all applications are submitted four to six weeks in advance. Applications are completed through NursingCAS. Once NursingCAS has verified your application, it will be sent to SFA Nursing. If your application has not been received by SFA by the deadline, your application will not be viewed for admission.

Do I need to submit official transcripts to both the Office of Admissions and the School of Nursing?

All transcripts must be sent to NursingCAS for review. No transcripts need to be sent to SFA Admissions for the nursing application.

Can I complete prerequisite and cognate courses after being accepted?

When applying to the School of Nursing, the majority of your prerequisite courses must be complete. You may be enrolled in the remaining courses during the time of application. All science courses must be completed at the end of the major semester that you are applying. 

The following courses are not required for admission to the School of Nursing, but are required for graduation: HIS 133, HIS 134, PSC 141, PSC 142, CSC 101/121 and the Component Area Course.

What do I include in my NursingCAS application packet?

The following items are loaded into the NursingCAS application system for each applicant:

  • Biographical information
  • Personal data
  • Parent and family information
  • Background information
  • Colleges attended
  • Coursework
  • Personal statement
  • Privacy statement
  • Designation (do not check the graduate program choice)

You will need to either send your Test of Essential Academic Skills scores directly to the School of Nursing, or upload them to your NursingCAS application. SAT, ACT and THEA scores are not required for the nursing application.

Where can I take the nursing entrance test?

The SFA nursing program requires competitive completion of the Test of Essential Academic Skills covering basic reading, math and science skills. The test is administered by SFA Student Testing Services.

If you aren't located near the SFA campus, review the ATI website for more options.

What is a petition, and when do I need one?

A student may file a petition with the School of Nursing for many reasons. The petitions are then viewed by the Student Affairs Committee and a decision is made regarding the request. The Student Affairs Committee consists of multiple faculty from the School of Nursing. Once a decision is made, the student will be notified by the Student Affairs Committee Chair.

Petition requests can include the following:

  • Substitution of a course taken at a another college or university
  • Forgiveness of a grade
  • Repeat of a nursing course
  • Makeup of a clinical day
  • Grievances and other concerns


See the petition instructions and form (Form 4.1) on the Nursing Policies and Handbook page.

If I apply and am denied, can I reapply?

Absolutely. Make sure all your coursework is complete and all criteria is met. You’ll upload any new work completed in NursingCAS. Make sure to send your updated transcripts.

Is there an accelerated program in the School of Nursing that will allow me to finish in fewer than four semesters?

Not at this time.

I'm already a registered nurse and want to earn my bachelor's degree in nursing. Is there a program for me?

We are pleased to offer an online Registered Nurse to Bachelor of Science in Nursing transition program. This track contains 31 hours of nursing courses, including 15 hours of clinical practicum.

What's the difference between pre-nursing and nursing?

Students who come to SFA to obtain a nursing degree enter the program as pre-nursing students. Pre-nursing Lumberjacks become nursing majors when they have successfully applied and been accepted to the Richard and Lucille DeWitt School of Nursing through NursingCAS.

Do I need a minor if I'm a nursing student?

Nursing students do not need to obtain a minor. The curriculum for the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program comprises 67 prerequisite hours and 53 nursing course hours, totaling the 120 hours needed for a degree. Students who wish to add on a minor can do so at their own discretion and must be advised separately by their minor department advisor. 

What if I want to change majors or minors?

Students who wish to change their major to nursing should visit the Miller Science Building, Suite 127, and declare their major change. Students changing from another major to nursing must have an overall GPA of at least 2.5. 

What is academic probation?

A student is placed on academic probation after the first regular semester in which the cumulative GPA falls below 2.0. Students on academic probation whose semester GPA is 2.0 or higher will be allowed to continue on academic probation until the cumulative GPA is 2.0 or higher. Academic probation will continue until the student achieves good standing or is placed on academic suspension.

View the full policy No. 6.4 in the SFA Policy Manual.

What is academic suspension?

A student on academic probation will be placed on academic suspension if the student's semester GPA falls below 2.0.


A student on academic suspension may be allowed to continue in the university through any of the following procedures:

  • Meet conditions established by the student’s dean; or
  • Be readmitted provisionally automatically after one regular semester’s absence from the university. Following a second or subsequent academic suspension and absence from the university for two regular semesters, be readmitted automatically. Summer terms are exempt from periods of academic suspension. Automatic readmission will not occur if the student takes courses elsewhere and fails to attain a GPA of 2.0 for those courses; or,
  • After the first academic suspension, attend summer school at Stephen F. Austin State University and either raise the cumulative GPA to 2.0 or above or obtain a GPA of 2.0 or above for at least 9 semester credit hours in courses specified by the student’s dean.

How – and when – do I file for graduation?

You should apply for graduation approximately eight months before you expect to finish the coursework required for your degree. Talk to your faculty advisor to learn more. 


DeWitt School of Nursing

5707 North Street
Administration Building
Suite 102

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 6156, SFA Station
Nacogdoches, Texas 75962


DAISY award