Skip to main content

Student Complaint Resolution

Current Students

SFA is committed to fostering an educational environment that promotes the highest level of learning and personal development of its students.

If an instance arises in which you believe a faculty or staff member has not acted in accordance with this stated goal, there are different reporting routes to assist you in addressing your concerns.

Follow these guidelines for complaints in which no process is prescribed in an official HOP policy.

Step One: Informal Resolution

The first step for resolving most conflicts is to contact the specific person or department most directly connected with the issue at hand. It may be helpful to review information on the Dean of Students Office policies and processes that govern most student complaints.

Step Two: Formal Resolution

If these informal procedures prove unsatisfactory, you may file a formal written complaint through your mySFA only after informal resolution strategies have been pursued.

  1. Log in to mySFA.
  2. Location the “University Policies” box on the home page.
  3. Select the “File a Formal Written Complaint” link.


SFA is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, whose complaint process may be found on their Complaint Procedures Against SACSCOC or Its Accredited Institutions policy document.

In-state students not satisfied with the outcome of the institutional appeals process may file a complaint with SFA’s authorizing agency, the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. Details on this process can be found on THECB’s State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement page.

Out-of-state students may file a complaint with the state in which they reside.

For any questions about this process, you may email the Office of General Counsel at or email the Dean of Students at or call 936.468.7249.