Taking care of your student
- Encourage them to:
- keep a routine including time for rest and relaxation
- engage in campus life and with other students
- and attend class regularly and keep in contact with their instructors.
- Clarify for them your expectations about academic and financial matters.
- Support them in coming to their own conclusions and encourage them to take responsibility in solving problems that may arise but be prepared to help guide them.
If they are struggling for any reason, it's best they contact their instructors and access student support resources sooner rather than later.
Taking care of you
- Expect that you will experience many different emotions. This is a big change for you, too!
- Talk with friends and family.
- Talk with a counselor.
College can be a lot different from high school. If you have questions or concerns, reach out to Counseling Services using the information below.