July 28, 2023
Staff Council elections are open!
Elections for Staff Council representatives are open 8 a.m. Tuesday, July 25 and will close at 5 p.m. Wednesday, August 2. We are eager to hear the voices of staff members from every area on campus. Please take a moment to vote!
June 27, 2023
Staff Council nominations extended
In response to the system outages, nominations for Council representatives have reopened and will close 5 p.m. Wednesday, June 28. Elections will take place in July.
April 4, 2023
2023 Staff Service Awards Ceremony
The Staff Service Awards Ceremony is scheduled 2 to 4 p.m. Wednesday, April 19 in the STEM Building atrium. Staff Council will be honoring years of service recipients, retirees and President’s Award recipients.
The following staff will be recognized at the event:
10 Years of Service
- Eleno Adame, University Police Department
- Rosa Cabral, Custodial Services
- Rachel Clark, Student Publications
- Bradley Cobb, Housing Operations
- Morgan Cortines, Strategic Analytics Institutional Research
- Wally Crittenden, Intercollegiate Athletics
- Martha Cruz, Campus Recreation
- Crystal Deckard, College of Education Academic Services
- Nesha Deckard, Human Sciences
- Richard Dorsett, Building Maintenance
- Robbie Goodrich, Dean College of Fine Arts
- Heather Hawkins, Dean College of Education
- Heather Howell, VP Student Affairs
- Ashley Johnson, Student Support Center
- Donna Matheny, Anthropology, Geography and Sociology
- Deanna McCollum, College of Education Academic Services
- Melanie "Mel" Mercer, College of Education Assessment and Accountability
- Gilbert Miller, Building Maintenance
- Molly Moody, College of Education Academic Services
- Beverly J. Morehouse, Research & Sponsored Programs
- Agatha Moreland, Housing Operations
- Susan Nolan, Title IX Compliance
- Ragan Philliber, Charter School
- Antonio Rangel, Custodial Services
- Amanda Romig, College of Education Assessment and Accountability
- Rebecca Self, School of Nursing
- Chassity Stegall, Custodial Services
- Julie Stephens, Dean College of Sciences & Math
- Richard Stobart, Custodial Services
- Carrie Stover, Dean College of Education
- Tammi Thompson, Financial Reporting
- Lissy Turner, Title IX Compliance
- Jessica Waguespack, Dean of Students
- Wil Willoughby, Building Maintenance
20 Years of Service
- Sabrina Delaney, Registrar
- Letitia Hamilton, Financial Reporting
- Jason Johnstone, University Marketing Communications
- Ronald King, Art
- Kimberly Morris, Admissions
- Donna Shelton , Procurement & Business Services
- Lynn Shivers, Management, Marketing and International Business
30 Years of Service
- Joy Rhodes, Government
- Janice Thorn, Custodial Services
40 Years of Service
- Barbara Olds, Director University Library
- Carolyn Spears, Stone Fort Museum
President’s Achievement Award
- William “Bill” Bryant, Physical Plant - Grounds
- Kate Childress, Student Success Center
- James “Eddie” Colwell, Physical Plant Transportation
- Chris Cotton, University Archives
- Kay Johnson, Procurement & Business Services
- Cassandra Montesano, Agriculture
- Francisco “Paco” Morales, School of Music
- Kassondra Perry-Weaver, School of Nursing
March 3, 2023
Questions about affiliation? Access the facts by reviewing the University of Texas System proposal.
Staff Council has recently received numerous questions regarding the potential impacts of SFA's upcoming transition. Where updates are shared at each Council meeting, staff with specific questions are encouraged to reference the UT System proposal from October, which directly addresses the top 20 staff questions regarding affiliation.
February 6, 2023
February meeting to include discussion of campus catering, staff salaries
Staff Council will hold a meeting at 10 a.m. Monday, Feb. 13, in McGee Business Building, Room 133. Ms. Kim Lee, (Coordinator of Reservations and Conferences, Baker Pattillo Student Center) and Ms. Natasha Varela (Resident District Manager, Chartwells) will discuss campus catering and reservations, and Ms. Jessica Barrett (Budget Director, VP Finance and Administration) will speak about staff compensation increases. The meeting will be livestreamed via Zoom, and the meeting agenda is available on the Meeting Information page.
November 17, 2022
President’s Achievement Award staff nominations
This award recognizes outstanding service to the university by a staff employee.
In an effort to expand staff recognition, Staff Council is excited to announce a few notable changes for the 2022-23 award year. The number of recipients for this award has increased and will now include eight staff recipients per academic year. Additionally, recipients will receive an inscribed plaque as well as an increased total award amount of $750 (previously $500). Nominations will be reviewed and selected by the president based on the criteria listed below.
To be eligible for this award, an employee must meet the following criteria:
- Be a full-time, benefits-eligible staff member;
- Be employed at SFA for a period of at least one year as of August 31, 2022;
- Has not received the award within the last three years;
- Nominated by the SFA community – self nominations will not be accepted.
Nominations may be submitted electronically by faculty, staff, or students through the President’s Award Nomination Online Form. Additionally, hard copy forms and secure ballot boxes will be placed in the following locations: Physical Plant Department (PPD), Student Center Information Desk, PPD Operations, and Grounds and Transportation.
We encourage everyone to participate in the nomination process. Nominations will be open Wednesday, Nov. 30 through Wednesday, Dec. 14. If you have any questions, contact Sabrina Delaney ext. 2050, or email@example.com.
November 10, 2022
Staff Council to meet Monday
The Staff Council will meet at 10 a.m. Monday, Nov. 14, in McGee Business Building, Room 133. The meeting will be livestreamed via Zoom. An agenda for this meeting is available on the Meeting Information page.
October 11, 2022
University system responses available for review — feedback requested
University system responses are now available at sfasu.edu/system. You may also view a condensed version of staff-specific questions and responses.
Staff Council will now develop a report that outlines staff perceptions of the strengths and weaknesses of each system based on the responses noted above. Staff can provide feedback by:
- Completing the University System Response Feedback Survey.
- Sharing feedback with a designated Staff Council representative.
- Sharing feedback through the Staff Council’s comment form.
Further system affiliation discussions will take place at the Staff Council meeting on Monday, October 17.
September 23, 2022
Staff system affiliation questions finalized — view the questions and next steps
Employees can view the full list of staff system questions.
Staff Council anticipates receiving responses from the systems by October 6, and they will be posted to the university system affiliation website.
Next, Staff Council will hold a meeting on October 17 to discuss the responses from each system and to assess their strengths and weaknesses. The results of these discussions will be incorporated into a report and submitted to Dr. Westbrook by October 21. The report will later be presented at the October Board of Regents meeting.
Staff Council encourages staff to stay involved in these discussions by communicating with their Staff Council representative(s).
September 5, 2022
Special session announced — provide your feedback on university affiliation
Staff Council would like to hear from you regarding joining a university system! To facilitate your response, we're offering staff members multiple ways to provide input:
- Share your questions with a designated Staff Council representative.
- Share questions through the Staff Council’s comment form.
- Drop written questions into designated drop-boxes found at:
- Grounds and Transportation breakroom
- Physical Plant timeclock area
- Residence Life Operations training room
- Student Center information desk
- Complete the campus input form on the University System Affiliation Evaluation page.
Responses submitted by Friday, September 16 will be provided for discussion during a special session to be held 9:30 a.m. Monday, September 19 in McGee Business Building, Room 133. Zoom stream information will be shared with staff members via email.
August 2, 2022
August meeting to include presentation on FY23 budget, bonuses
SFA Budget Director Jessica Barrett will discuss the upcoming budget and employee bonuses during the August 8 Staff Council meeting, and employees also will hear updates on the new Employee Assistance Program. With Staff Council's inaugural year concluding, the gavel will be passed, and members will recognize new and outgoing representatives.
July 20, 2022
Staff Council elections to be held July 21 to 28
Recently selected nominees for SFA Staff Council representatives are slated for the 2022 election cycle, and voting will be open Thursday, July 21 through Thursday, July 28.
Representatives are elected by staff members according to occupational classification, and seats for 2022 are open in the professional, technical/paraprofessional, administrative support, and service/maintenance categories.
Your voice matters! Visit the Elections page and follow the instructions to cast your vote.
June 7, 2022
Upcoming meeting to host university president; nominations for elections open
Staff Council will host Interim President Dr. Steve Westbrook during its upcoming meeting Monday, June 13. The council will meet in McGee Business Building, Room 133, and Zoom stream information will be shared via email.
If you would like to be a part of the Staff Council’s ongoing efforts to advocate for campus improvement, see the Staff Council Elections page for details about submitting a nomination. Nominations for representatives will remain open through Friday, June 17, and elections will be held in July.
June 1, 2022
Staff Council seeking nominations for representatives
Are you interested in shaping conversations that affect SFA staff members? Are you willing to serve, or do you know another staff member willing to serve as a voice for campus employees? Be a part of the Staff Council’s ongoing efforts to advocate for campus improvement by nominating a staff member to run for office as a council representative.
Nominations for representatives will remain open from Monday, June 6 to Friday, June 17, and elections will be held in July.
April 8, 2022
April 18 topics to include space utilization, shared governance and training curriculum
Staff Council will host several guest speakers on a range of topics during its Monday, April 18 session.
- Mr. John Branch, Interim Director, Physical Plant
Update on the work of the Campus Master Plan Committee
- Dr. Lorenzo Smith, Executive Vice President and Provost
Shared governance document
- Mr. Brandon Stringfield and Ms. Kay Johnson
Update on the work of the Training Curriculum Task Force
View the complete meeting agenda on the Meeting Information page.
February 22, 2022
Staff Council to meet Feb. 28
The Staff Council Worklife Committee will present research on university systems during a special session Monday, February 28 at 1:30 p.m. The committee solicited questions from SFA staff members as part of its research. The findings are intended to inform and empower employees through research about system structure and organization, job security, and employee benefits.
The meeting will be held in the McGee Business Building, Room 133, and a Zoom link will be sent to staff members by email prior to the meeting.
February 9, 2022
Staff Council to meet Feb. 14
SFA's Staff Council will meet at 1:30 p.m. Monday, Feb. 14, in the McGee Business Building, Room 133, and via Zoom.
At the request of staff members and council representatives, attendees will hear a slate of presentations. Judi Kruwell, interim vice president for finance and administration, will discuss possible outsourcing of positions; John Wyatt, interim director of human resources, will address the recently released staff salary study; and Dr. Michara DeLaney-Fields, chief diversity officer, will discuss the upcoming campus climate survey.
Staff members will receive a Zoom link by email prior to the meeting for those who prefer to attend remotely.
The council encourages staff members to be involved in campus conversations by engaging with their representatives.
December 15, 2021
January meeting announced
Staff Council will meet on Monday, January 10 at 1:30 p.m. in McGee Business Building, Room 133. We also will stream the meeting on Zoom, and the Zoom info will be shared via
SFA Today email.
November 18, 2021
Meeting agenda announced
Staff Council will hold its first official meeting on Thursday, December 2 at 1 p.m. This meeting is open to the public and will take place in the McGee Business Building room 133. Zoom meeting information will be sent in advance to staff members via email. You also may request a link by emailing Staff Council.
October 25, 2021
- Staff Council’s bylaws committee has been hard at work researching and crafting bylaws. Council representatives have been providing input, and we hope to have a complete draft of the bylaws ready in early November. Once bylaws are finalized, we can proceed with our first official meeting. Watch SFA Today and your email for more information!
- Staff Council representatives provided feedback on the shared governance document. Once the document is finalized, it will be shared.
- We’re developing methods for easy, two-way communication between staff and Staff Council representatives. As these are launched, we’ll share information via email, SFA Today, and printed materials.
September 17, 2021
Staff Council formation and communication
Your Staff Council is hard at work on the following initiatives this fall:
- drafting and approving our organizational bylaws, which will govern the work of the council and provide the framework within which we operate
- developing a mission statement
- crafting goals for the council’s first year.
As your elected representatives begin the work of formalizing the creation of the Staff Council, we encourage you to stay informed, to be involved and to utilize this important group to serve the needs of our staff community.
One easy way to stay informed is to sign up for Staff Council JackText alerts to be sent to your mobile phone. Here’s how to sign up:
- Log in to mySFA.
- Click the Resources tab.
- Under Technical Services and Email Lists, click the link for Self-Service Banner.
- On the new page, click the Personal Information tab.
- Click the link for JackText.
If you have not signed up for JackText:
- Choose Add a cell phone and click Submit.
- When you fill out the next page, ensure you click the box beside Staff Council Notifications near the bottom.
If you previously signed up for JackText:
- Choose Modify a cell phone and click Submit.
- On the next page, choose the cellphone number you want to update.
- On the next page, ensure you click the box beside Staff Council Notifications near the bottom.
July 9, 2021