Are you interested in shaping conversations that affect SFA staff? Do you know another staff member willing to serve as a voice for campus employees?
Read more about what it means to be a Staff Council representative. Nominate yourself or another staff member to run for office and to serve as an advocate on this important body.
Responsibilities of a Representative
Staff Council is a consultative organization that supports staff members. As valued and critical contributors to shared governance, council representatives collaborate and communicate with staff colleagues to address concerns and find resolutions to a range of issues.
Expectations of a representative include:
- Advocate for constituents and improve our institution by listening to and engaging with staff on campus topics.
- Attend Staff Council meetings and serve on at least one council committee.
- Once elected, representatives serve three-year terms beginning in September and commit up to ten hours per month (one to two hours per week) to Staff Council during the scope of their normal duties.
Staff Council regularly provides a platform for discussing current issues and keeping employees informed. During council meetings, representatives and guest presenters have addressed campus topics such as:
- diversity and campus climate
- employee training improvements
- impacts of joining a university system
- shared governance
- space utilization
- staff salaries
These discussions are the result of interests and concerns shared by staff members, and, as a representative, you can contribute to those conversations! To get involved, submit a nomination and be a part of Staff Council's ongoing efforts.
How to Submit a Nomination
Option 1: Electronic Submission
Submit a nomination using the online form (available from Monday, June 6 to Friday, June 17).
Option 2: Paper Submission
- Physical Plant training room
- Grounds and Transportation break room
- Information Desk in the student center
- Circulation Desk in Steen Library.
After the nomination cycle ends, Staff Council Nominations and Elections Committee will verify each nominee’s eligibility, willingness to run for election, and supervisor’s support of his/her/their nomination. Supervisors who do not support a nomination will be required to provide justification to the interim director of Human Resources.
Elections for Staff Council Representatives will be held in July, and exact dates will be shared as soon as they are available. Staff Council ballots will be electronic and available via mySFA. Names of elected individuals will be shared via email and SFA Today.