NACOGDOCHES, TEXAS - A number of scholarships and grant awards presented annually through the Stephen F. Austin State University School of Art were announced earlier this year. SFA School of Art Director Christopher Talbot announced the following recipients of the 2013-2014 art scholarships during the opening of the SFA Art Alliance Spring Show:
- Katherine Holmes, awarded a Patricia Roberdeau Mast Art Scholarship. Holmes is also the recipient of the Ed and Gwen Cole Dean's Circle Award in Art.
- Kim Jenkins, awarded a Patricia Roberdeau Mast Art Scholarship.
- Christina Herrera , awarded a Patricia Roberdeau Mast Art Scholarship.
- Elizabeth Wisdom, awarded a Regents Scholarship for Housing.
- Michael Mitcham, awarded the Eloise Chambers Adams Art Scholarship, the John and Doris Daniel Art Scholarship and the Debbie Simpson/Terry Miller Memorial Scholarship.
- Emily Yeats, awarded the Jack McKinney Memorial Scholarship in Art, the Melba Cranford Memorial Art Scholarship and the Stephen Weeks Memorial Art Scholarship.
- Cassandra Otto, awarded a Piero Fenci Scholarship for Ceramic Arts.
- Ashley Martin, awarded the Brian Philip Joseph LaBarbera Memorial Scholarship and the Art Alliance Scholarship.
- Nicholas Palella, awarded a Piero Fenci Scholarship for Ceramic Arts.
- Justin Herring, awarded the Elsie Arscott Art Scholarship.
- Coy Lothrop, an incoming student, awarded a Regents Scholarship for Housing.
- Le'Anne Alexander, awarded the Carolyn and Richard Skurla Graduate Scholarship.
The SFA Alliance Spring Show was juried by internationally-renowned art historian and curator Peter Selz. Winners included:
First Place: Heather Wobbe for "Chandelier"
Second Place: Evan Davis for "Three Towers"
Third Place: Rebekeh Kennedy for "Robert Performing Surgery"
Honorable Mention: Rebekeh Kennedy for "Self-Portrait Revealing Scar"
Honorable Mention: Andrei Bucur for "Thinking"
Honorable Mention: Daniel Baugh for "Fish Frame"
Other awards announced recently included:
- Emilie Gaultier received the Karl Schlicher Outstanding Art Graduate for 2012-2013.
- Mia Sampietro received the Chris and Yvette Sidnell Highest GPA Award for 2012-2013.
The following awards were given by the Friends of the Visual Arts:
- Katherine Holmes was awarded the inaugural Gary Q. Frields Art Scholarship.
- Caleb Rose received the inaugural Charles Jones Art Scholarship for 2013-2014.
- Pamela Erhardt received a Graduate Art Scholarship for fall 2012.
- Brianna Deterling received the Graduate Art Scholarship for 2013-2014.
- Jesse Rodriguez and John Storm received incoming student scholarships for 2013-2014.
Friendship Grants were awarded to the following students and organizations for 2012-2013: Le'Anne Alexander to attend a national conference in New York City; Tyler Mitchan to attend a sculpture workshop in Scottsdale, Ariz.; Jill Albert, Jasmine Austin, Pamela Erhardt, Jacqueline Maher, Zach Maberry, Elizabeth Patino, Dylan Parkhurst and Blake Williams for Maymester traveling courses; Emily Grogan for her senior BFA exhibition; and Kat Garcia, Olivia Hopkins, Matthew Kane, Ashley Martin and Kelci Rolen for artwork expenses. Grants were also awarded to student members of Ad-Hoc, the national student advertising federation, to attend the advertising campaign competition in Oklahoma and to the SFA Art Academy for kindergarten through sixth-grade students to attend summer art camp.