Hoping to continue providing the campus community with an outlet for open discussion in such trying times, the Office of Multicultural Affairs staff members have transitioned the remainder of the OMA’s spring semester events to virtual and online formats.
“We had already begun discussing adjusting some of our programs and events to be tailored to an online format,” said Jalon Berry, OMA assistant director. “Although this transition came sooner than expected, we are glad we are able to promote diversity and inclusion digitally.”
Six events remain slated to take place either via Zoom or through OMA’s social media profiles:
- The Lumberjack Cultural Association will conduct Diversity Week through OMA social media channels during the week of April 6 through 9. The following events will take place Monday through Thursday, respectively: All Shades of Abilities, All Shades of Latinx, All Shades of Black and All Shades of Controversy.
- The Monologues, which allow performers to present theatrical pieces on such topics as gender, gender roles, sexual orientation, sexual experiences, bodies and body image, and race and ethnicity, will take place via Zoom and/or social media at 6 p.m. April 15.
- The final Brave Space Series of the semester will be at 4 p.m. April 23 through Zoom. The discussion will cover the effects of the current pandemic on countries, communities, and ethnic, social and religious groups.
- The Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month Celebration will be at 3 p.m. April 21 via Zoom. The OMA will celebrate AAPIHM, which takes place in May, by hosting an interactive trivia game through Zoom and by releasing an infographic in May with facts and information regarding this population.
- An ongoing Kente Cloth Ceremony will take place from April 13 through May 1 on the OMA’s social media accounts and will highlight the organization’s spring and summer 2020 graduates.
- OMA’s newest program, Game Changers, will feature student ambassadors interviewing professionals and advocates about how they have “changed the game” in their respective fields. This will take place at 1 p.m. every Tuesday until the end of the semester via Instagram live on OMA’s account, @OMASFA1991.
Given the ever-changing nature of today’s climate, the format and time of these events are subject to change. Refer to the OMA website at sfasu.edu/oma for potential event updates.
Due to recent incidents of Zoom-bombing, only individuals with SFA email addresses will be allowed to join OMA Zoom events. A survey link will be posted to OMA’s social media accounts and webpage that will allow those interested in participating to submit their SFA email address.