Don’t just study history. Live it.
“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.” –Mark Twain
World history is interesting no matter where you study it, but there is nothing quite like walking in the footsteps of those who lived it. SFA offers history students the chance to do just that and earn credit toward a degree.
Lumberjacks who participate in a study abroad program have the opportunity to explore first-hand the language, history and people of another land – and to learn cross-cultural skills that can prove valuable in the employment marketplace.
Exciting locations and courses
Faculty-led study abroad trips vary in length from a week to an entire summer semester. On shorter trips, students typically travel to several locations in a foreign country after completing a regular course at SFA on the history, language, culture and politics of the country.
Summer semester trips are partnerships with host institutions in countries like Spain or Brazil. On these trips, students live with host families and take classes each morning at the host institution. In the afternoons, they participate in cultural activities. Students also take weekend trips to other parts of the country.
Recent trips offered with history faculty include:
- Spring break in India
- Spain (five-week summer semester)
- Salvador, Bahia and Brazil (five-week summer semester)
History students have also recently accompanied faculty from other departments to:
- Paris, France
- Francophone Canada (Montreal and Quebec)
- Cusco, Peru (five-week summer semester)
Study abroad scholarships and financial aid
Worried about travel expenses? SFA offers a variety of financial aid options that can make your study abroad program more affordable:
- The SFA Study Abroad Scholarship is awarded to undergraduates who have a grade point average of 2.5 or higher. All recipients of the SFA Study Abroad Scholarship must attend a pre-departure orientation and participate in a service project to help promote SFA’s study abroad program.
- The Wisely Study Abroad Scholarship, which is awarded by the School of Honors, is available for spring, summer and fall study abroad trips.
To learn more about financial aid for study abroad programs, talk to your advisor.