Skip to main content

Helping you succeed

Do you need help selecting classes? Do you want to explore career paths that align with your interests? Do you have questions about declaring or changing your major? Your SFA advisor can provide you with the advice and guidance you need to make the most of your time as a Lumberjack.

In addition to helping you with your major and degree plan, your advisor can help you:

  • strengthen your study skills 
  • get on track if you’re struggling academically
  • track your academic progress
  • and file for graduation.

Finding your advisor

To find your advisor or to make an appointment, follow the steps below:

1. Log into mySFA 
2. Click on the "Advising" tab
3. In the "My Advisor" portal, go to your assigned advisor
4. Click on "Schedule an appointment with your advisor"

Freshmen and Sophomores with up to 45 hours majoring in English or working toward a Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences degree, or psychology majors with last names beginning with the letters S-Z, as well as prospective students interested in these programs, can contact the advisor below.

Billy Harris
Ferguson Building, Room 291
Phone: 936.468.2205

Freshmen and sophomores with up to 45 hours majoring in communication studies or history, or psychology majors with last names beginning with the letters A-R, as well as prospective students interested in these programs, can contact the advisor below.

Jessica Boone
Ferguson Building, Room 291
Phone: 936.468.2205

For additional assistance, please call 936.468.2205. 

Advising FAQs

What is a degree plan, and when do I need to file one? 

A degree plan summarizes what courses you have taken so far and which courses remain for you to take to complete your degree. You must file one once you have completed 45 hours of college credits.  To start the process, visit the Advising Center in the Steen Library, Room 203.

What if I want to change my major or minor?  

Changing your major or minor is easy. Just visit with the advising center of the college that houses your new major or minor. 

Students on academic probation or suspension may change majors with an approval from their current and receiving deans.

What is academic probation?  

A student is placed on academic probation after the first regular semester in which the cumulative GPA falls below 2.0. Students on academic probation whose semester GPA is 2.0 or higher will be allowed to continue on academic probation until the cumulative GPA is 2.0 or higher. Academic probation will continue until the student achieves good standing or is placed on academic suspension. 

What is academic suspension?  

A student on academic probation will be placed on academic suspension if the student's semester grade point average falls below 2.0. 


A student on academic suspension may be allowed to continue in the university through any of the following procedures: 

  • meet conditions established by the student’s dean; or
  • be automatically readmitted on a provisional basis after one regular semester’s absence from the university. Following a second or subsequent academic suspension and absence from the university for two regular semesters, be readmitted automatically. Summer terms are exempt from periods of academic suspension. Automatic readmission will not occur if the student takes courses elsewhere and fails to attain a GPA of 2.0 for those courses; or
  • after the first academic suspension, attend summer school at SFA and either raise the cumulative GPA to 2.0 or higher or obtain a GPA of 2.0 or higher for at least 9 semester credit hours in courses specified by the student’s dean.

How, and when, do I file for graduation?  

Apply online at Applying to Graduate.

Application dates vary depending on which semester you plan to graduate. Please refer to the list below: 

  • May commencement - Applications are taken Sept. 15 through Nov. 15 of the prior year.
  • August commencement - Applications are taken Jan. 2 through March 2 of the same year.
  • December commencement - Applications are taken April 1 through June 1 of the same year.