Skip to main content

Required of all international students

All international students are required to file Form 8843 with the IRS each year, regardless of income earned (whether the student worked or not). Filing federal income tax forms is the personal responsibility of each international student.

While we are always happy to help, there are no tax professionals on staff in the Office of International Programs. If you have questions regarding your taxes, we highly recommend that you speak with a certified public accountant or tax preparer (example: H&R Block). International students should not use TurboTax to prepare their taxes as this program is for United States residents only.

U.S. employment

If you were employed in the U.S. at any point during the previous tax year (example: Jan. 1 through Dec. 31, 2020), you also must file tax return Form 1040-NR by the filing deadline. View the Form 1040-NR Instructions to ensure your tax return is completed correctly.

Key Date

The tax filing deadline for the previous year's tax returns is April 15 (example: reporting for 2023 is due on April 15, 2024).

Frequently Asked Questions: Form 8843

Who must file?

Form 8843 must be filed if an individual is:

  • present in the U.S. during the tax year
  • a nonresident alien
  • present in the U.S. under F-1, F-2, J-1, or J-2 status

If an individual meets all three qualifications above, the individual must file Form 8843, regardless of the individual's age and even if the individual is not required to file a U.S. income tax return (Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ).

What is the form?

Form 8843 is merely an informational statement required by the U.S. government for certain nonresident aliens (including the spouses or dependents of nonresident aliens). Form 8843 is not an income tax return.

Do I need a Social Security number to file?

No, you do not need a Social Security number to file.

However, if you have been employed in the U.S., you must include your assigned Social Security number on Form 8843.

Do I need an Individual Taxpayer Identification number to file?

No, you do not need an Individual Taxpayer Identification number to file.

However, if you have already been assigned an ITIN, you must include it on Form 8843.


Office of International Programs
Fax: 936.468.7215
Staff directory

Come see us:
Steen Library, Suite 103