Skip to main content

On-campus living for every student

Experience college life in the same on-campus environment as your peers by applying for special accommodations. Each of our residence halls can be equipped to meet your needs, ensuring a safe and comfortable living situation.

Who qualifies for special accommodations?

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (as amended), individuals with disabilities are guaranteed certain protections and rights of equal access to programs. Under this provision, a person with a disability refers to anyone who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities and has a record of such impairment, or is regarded as having such impairment.

Recognized disabilities

So, what types of conditions does the ADA cover? The ADA’s list of recognized disabilities includes but is not limited to: visual impairment, cerebral palsy, hearing impairment, seizure disorder, attention deficit disorder, orthopedic impairment, specific learning disability, cancer, diabetes and psychiatric disability.

Not all recognized disabilities require housing accommodations. If your disability requires special accommodations, please follow the application guidelines below.

Learning disabilities

If you have a learning disability, you won’t need to apply for additional special housing accommodations.

You can rest assured that SFA provides a variety of tools and resources to help you succeed. Each residence hall is equipped with a study room, and the Academic Assistance Resource Center in Steen Library offers extra help to all students.

Temporary disabilities

The ADA typically doesn't cover temporary disabilities. Temporary disabilities include things like broken bones, recent surgery, temporary use of crutches, just to name a few.

But this doesn’t mean that you can’t ask for help if you need it. Students with temporary disabilities can move to another room or floor upon request, and if the space is available. To request a move or to learn more about assistance for temporary disabilities, contact the Residence Life Office.

How to apply for special accommodations

You can apply for special accommodations online. In addition to completing the form, you’ll also need to provide documentation from a qualified health professional. This documentation must:

  • Include an evaluation that is less than three years old. Some conditions may need to be updated more frequently.
  • Include a complete medical diagnosis, including any test results.
  • Define the impact on your housing needs, and make recommendations for appropriate accommodations.
  • Note any prescriptions or medications.
  • Be typed on letterhead, dated and signed.

Additional documentation

Some types of disabilities and accommodations require additional types of documentation in addition to completing the Special Accommodation Request Form. See below for a list of disabilities and medical conditions that may require additional forms, test results or recommendations.


Our housing policies are in line with the American Lung Association’s guidelines for minimizing allergic reactions. If you are applying for special accommodations for asthma, your documentation should include:

  • Diagnosis and allergens
  • Frequency of asthma attacks
  • Severity of attacks
  • Current medications and prescriptions
  • Recommendation for controlling allergens in student housing

Attention Deficit Disorder/Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder

If you are applying for special accommodations for ADD/ADHD, you’ll need to include an adult-based evaluation with quantitative and qualitative data along with your documentation.

Emotional support animals and service animals

SFA allows animals that assist or provide therapeutic/emotional benefits to a student with a documented disability. Your emotional support/service animal is not required to be individually certified or trained, but you may need to request approval or provide documentation of your need for an emotional support/service animal on campus.

Students wishing to apply to bring an animal on campus must complete the special accommodation request form. An email will be sent to the student’s SFA email address detailing what type of medical documentation is required. Animals are not allowed on campus until approval has been given by the Residence Life Department.

For more information, please see the university’s animal policy.


SFA will maintain confidentiality of your evaluation and will not release any part of the documentation without your informed and written consent, or a written release from the diagnosing professional or agency. The university cannot discuss confidential information with your parents without written consent.

What if I don’t get an accommodation?

You can appeal the university’s decision regarding special accommodations. Please see the Director of Disability Services for the appeal procedure.


Residence Life
Fax: 936.468.5818
Staff Directory

Office Hours: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday to Friday

Physical Address:
Baker Pattillo Student Center
Room 1.301

Mailing Address: 
P.O. Box 13054, SFA Station 
Nacogdoches, Texas 75962